Big Tupper Thread

I cannot even imagine how much it will take to get Big Tupper operating again, especially without snow making equipment. Does anybody know the last time the 2 remaining chairs were run? Where is the money going to come from to buy and start up BT (besides MC's lottery winnings)?

This just seems like more magical thinking.

I hope they're successful. But it sounds like an LSD deal.

I'd like to know what they're using to project $7 million estimated income. If the bulk of that is from Big Tupper lift tickets, how many skiers are they expecting?

"existing studies, old plans that never happened and new ideas for recreational trails." Perhaps the old plans never happened for a reason.

Grammar police alert: "The path for the rest of the plan sort of hinges on the acquisition of the mountain." Sort of?

Last edited:
I would also be very surprised if the town bought it.

If nothing else this brings the Foxman era to a close right?

I'd like to understand the editorial approval process on that piece.
The journalism industry has been decimated. Quality has followed, especially on the local level. It's amazing some outlets even survive, even in digital form.

It's all so sad. I first heard about this Tupper revival when I watched the PBS Adirondacks documentary in, what, '07? All those people in the end at the town meeting who were duped by that guy thinking they would be a new Aspen and they could either find a local job, any job, or sell the house for some inflated sum and move to a warm place. With jobs. All this time, and then I read this. So sad. They have no clue. And it's all so dreamy, like they thought it up on a coaster at the bar. Yeah, mountain biking! Yeah, hiking trails! Yeah, sled trails! We'll finally own this place! It's a gold mine! Lord. No focus, just, give us something, anything. If they want a ski hill, they need major capital to just build a new ski hill, because the only thing left at this point is derelict, and grown over. I just listened to a podcast with the CEO of Saddleback, which just came back online after "only" five years, and they're starting with 13 million, with a let's see how this goes before another 40 million or so is spent during a long term plan. And that has the backing of a smart PE outfit and a former LL Bean exec hired to run it.

https://skiing.substack.com/p/podcast-30-saddleback-gm-and-ceo?r=3ib01

Maybe the people of Tupper will luck out and find that, but, highly doubtful. Sounds like they are still primed to get scammed again (which actually happened at Saddleback before the present owners invested).

And, no way the state is dropping in. They have zillions "invested" over at LP. The hit on state revenues from virus lockdowns will linger for years. No way Cuomo is building a new ski hill that nobody wants but the Tupper locals.

Sad.

He has, as my mom used to say, bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Andrew is an arrogant bully just like The Emperor Mario I. Hitting on the staff is the height of arrogance.

The last article spoke of the Town of Tupper Lake buying the ski area from the County tax sale, now they want to lease it? They need the tax sale to take its course be for they inflict more wounds on themselves.

You also have to love the way the article ignores the elephant in the room:
"In 2003, developers Michael Foxman and Tom Lawson planned to revive the ski area and build a resort and luxury home development on it and its surrounding land, called the Adirondack Club and Resort. But after stalled state agency permits and long legal battles with environmentalists and creditors, the project ran out of momentum."

They had ZERO MONEY and nobody wanted to lend them any money. Also, it was a confusing plan to revive an Eastern ski area by first selling off the snowmaking equipment. Even The Shark swam away, never to be heard from again.

Back