Belleayre Conditions

The architecture of the new Discovery Lodge is similar to the other new lodges that ORDA has built in recent years. That's why they went with it.
Wrong. Look at the new Legacy Lodge.

I agree. Even if you accept the rationale for installing the gondola, the placement of the top station was off. They could have put it in the middle and piled up just enough gravel and dirt to cruise to either side from it. That would have spread people out at least. Would have made more sense for it to be a detachable quad though

You are definitely in the minority. That doesn't make it right or wrong. But Belleayre became a real mountain the day the gondola opened.

Wrong. Look at the new Legacy Lodge.
yea I'd have to agree, I don't see any consistency or ORDA architectural branding going on there

What was the first real mountain in NY? What year was it?
The first real mountain was nearby Slide Mountain first skied by Irving Langmuir in 1909.

When I first started skiing Belleayre (2010 or so) I didn't even really understand there was another lodge. I assumed Overlook was the main lodge. Would love to see a pic of the old Discovery.

Whether or not it ever happens I can't say. But I am pretty sure that when the Gondola was put in the Highmount expansion was a primary driver.

Anyone remember how quick it happened? I believe the gondi wasn't even mentioned until spring of the year it was built.
Somebody put a bug in Gov Cuomo's ear and the useless gondola moved to the front of the line. The Lightening FGQ should have been a HS6 instead of the gondola installation. Cuomo loved gondolas as he had a $3 MILLION 200 foot vertical gondola installed at the Olympic Jumping Complex. No waste of money there!

Let us also take a moment to remember the uproar over the proposed $74million proposal to expand Belleayre to Highmount Ski area in 2013. As I predicted, after 10 years there is still no signs of the ski run expansion or the lodging other than the absurd gondola that Cuomo pushed through.

We're really still beating this dead horse? The gondola (or any lift on that route) was necessary to improve connectivity. You could build a 6 pack or 8 pack on the Lightning Quad route and it would still take 5 lifts to reach the west side of the mountain.

Let us also take a moment to remember the uproar over the proposed $74million proposal to expand Belleayre to Highmount Ski area in 2013. As I predicted, after 10 years there is still no signs of the ski run expansion or the lodging other than the absurd gondola that Cuomo pushed through.
They be still going to the planning board asking for an extension so it seems.
Plan the plan for the plan.

We're really still beating this dead horse? The gondola (or any lift on that route) was necessary to improve connectivity. You could build a 6 pack or 8 pack on the Lightning Quad route and it would still take 5 lifts to reach the west side of the mountain.
No - after installing the HS6, ORDA could have yanked out the Belleayre Express and restarted a new bubble HS6 in the same spot and bend it around the the Overlook Lodge up the #7 path and killed 2 birds with one lift. ORDA seems to like bending high speed lifts and, obviously, money is no object for any ORDA dreams.

No, this is your opinion not fact. Read previous replies to your misinformation. Five lift rides not needed.

Back