ATV vs Side-by-Side

Shaman has a tractor and swears by it. Our lot is 99% wooded so not sure how much use I'd get out of a tractor. The UTV could roam. Would need some trail widening in spots I think.

Passengers... hmm.

Don’t know what you would likely use it for...

Moving firewood, bringing the chainsaw around the trails to clear deadfall, maybe plowing(?), riding for fun.

Shaman has a tractor and swears by it. Our lot is 99% wooded so not sure how much use I'd get out of a tractor.

That's where you'll use it. You'll skid logs with it. You'll also mow with it. You'll end up with one, Harv. I just know it.

I'm not disputing it since many adk friends have a tractor. But I have maybe a 10th of an acre of grass. No plans to log our land.

Question, do these vehicles have reverse? Like if you come to a dead end and you need to turn around.

Also I see some atvs that have "descent control." Is that where the engine engages to slow you down on a downhill? If so, I like that.

Yep, you'll have reverse as well as a high and low range. Most of the time hill descent = engine brake, so you would be correct. Mine will "freewheel", just like a snowmobile does when the clutch isn't engaged. When I'm going down a steepish hill in high range I tap the gas to keep the clutch engaged which then acts like a engine brake. If I'm in low range it's a non-issue. I wouldn't let a machine having or not having hill descent be the deciding factor for a purchase. Tapping the gas will accomplish the same thing. IMO.

Yep, you'll have reverse as well as a high and low range. Most of the time hill descent = engine brake, so you would be correct. Mine will "freewheel", just like a snowmobile does when the clutch isn't engaged. When I'm going down a steepish hill in high range I tap the gas to keep the clutch engaged which then acts like a engine brake. If I'm in low range it's a non-issue. I wouldn't let a machine having or not having hill descent be the deciding factor for a purchase. Tapping the gas will accomplish the same thing. IMO.

So if you give it just a little bit of gas it engages the engine and slows you down. Sounds simple.

Also what does anyone think about the difference between handle bars vs steering wheel?

The ATV will not be nearly the fun for the Friday night run around the property with a friend or seven.

I think the advantage of the atv is the width. Other than that I don't see any. They are tippier, suspension is different.

The ATV will not be nearly the fun for the Friday night run around the property with a friend or seven.

Spot on. You can put a cooler in the back, 3 up front, and go for a ride. They also make bench seats for the rear bed to hold additional passengers, if needed.

So if you give it just a little bit of gas it engages the engine and slows you down. Sounds simple.

Yep, the throttle is your friend. When in doubt throttle out <smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

Also what does anyone think about the difference between handle bars vs steering wheel?

Wheel. You can put a suicide ball on the wheel so you can have the other hand free to do things like drink a beer ;)

Back