Building a House with Wood

Serious question: What can you tell from a picture?

This is really the first time the frame got wet. It poured yesterday and last night

I know the sheathing is supposed to be ok for 180 days but I don't like it!
All the cuts look nice and tight, rafters and studs line up nicely transferring the load down to the foundation. Tape on the zip panels is nice and smooth and the job site looks nice and tidy.

The sheathing will be fine if it gets wet a few times.

All the cuts look nice and tight, rafters and studs line up nicely transferring the load down to the foundation. Tape on the zip panels is nice and smooth and the job site looks nice and tidy.

Thanks for this input. REALLY appreciate it. The plans CALL for those things to be lined up, but since this is the only framing crew I've ever hired, I didn't know that framers might not follow through.

The sheathing will be fine if it gets wet a few times.

I know this but I'll still feel better when the roof is on!

I'm a worry wart. Nothing like leaving a half built frame of a house in the rearview mirror, with a tornado watch on your phone.

gable

“I'm a worry wart. Nothing like leaving a half built frame of a house in the rearview mirror, with a tornado watch on your phone.”

1987 A friend of mine bought an acre and cut one tree down. The next day a tornado hit his neighbors lot ( no house yet) Wiped it clean! The tornado skipped and knocked all the trees down where he planned on putting his house 🙃🤪
All he had to do was cut them into pieces.

Looks great! You are never going to want to leave your house. ;)
Substitute 'house' for 'property' and that's been true for quite a while. All this wilderness right around the corner, and I'm always on our property. These days it's all about an acre or two right around the house.

A baby came today, so I didn't get any pics.

Grampa sent this yesterday...

gable overhang

The overhangs are a big part of this house. Every window on the house (and garage) is under an overhang. That's the way I like it, but it does drive up the cost of framing. I like the idea of protecting the windows.

A baby came today, so I didn't get any pics.

Grampa sent this yesterday...

View attachment 25168

The overhangs are a big part of this house. Every window on the house (and garage) is under an overhang. That's the way I like it, but it does drive up the cost of framing. I like the idea of protecting the windows.
And you'll like it every time you walk in the house in bad weather!

Back