Wildlife

Visited a Great Blue Heron rookery in Washington County, there is probably 25 nest in the wetland area.
0C4A2841-DeNoiseAI-severe-noise.jpg

B you are killin it. You find these moments.

The owl and the vole is mind blowing iconic.

Visited a Great Blue Heron rookery in Washington County, there is probably 25 nest in the wetland area.
View attachment 24597
Great shot, they look so exotic. There is a huge rookery just upstream from me. I first stumbled upon them when cutting through the swamps during trout season with my dog. I stopped counting at 60 nests with 23 nesting pairs way up in some sycamores. Not all of the nests were occupied and a few had fallen to the ground. I was amazed at the size of the branches used to build them. The birds were not happy with our presence and we got completely shit bombed. My dog looked at me as if to say, “Let’s get the fuck out of here.” Now that I know they are there I keep my distance. Such awesome creatures. My friend who lives nearby stocked his pond with trout one year. It didn’t take long for them to clean it out. Haha.

Great shot, they look so exotic. There is a huge rookery just upstream from me. I first stumbled upon them when cutting through the swamps during trout season with my dog. I stopped counting at 60 nests with 23 nesting pairs way up in some sycamores. Not all of the nests were occupied and a few had fallen to the ground. I was amazed at the size of the branches used to build them. The birds were not happy with our presence and we got completely shit bombed. My dog looked at me as if to say, “Let’s get the fuck out of here.” Now that I know they are there I keep my distance. Such awesome creatures. My friend who lives nearby stocked his pond with trout one year. It didn’t take long for them to clean it out. Haha.

The picture doesn’t give the scale of just how big they are.
I observed a comical encounter between a deer and a blue heron while driving down a country road.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer about to cross my path and I braked at the last minute. The deer turned 180° and ran down a stream bed and almost ran over a heron. The two avoided each other by inches. I was amazed that the heron stood taller than the deer!

Y’all ever hear the racket those dang dinosaur looking things make at night?
They'll wake ya from a slumber. And can stand still on one leg for a long time too.
Amazing creatures.

Amazing creatures.
I love stalking them in the kayak

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

During last weeks mtb ride along the crick I was trying to get a cool shot of a pair of mergansers floating by a heron fishing for its supper but they skedaddled before I could get the shot...

Back