Wildlife

Saw an Osprey rebuilding a nest maybe 20 feet in the air - the twig it was carrying must have been two feet long. Birds are pretty amazing. When I was a kid their were few Ospreys, probably due to DDT, etc. Now, almost evertyime I drive to the beach in season I see them clutching bait fish in their talons. Beautiful birds.
Yes they are there are a number of osprey nests all along route 37 which parallels the St Lawrence River. Those nests usually on top of telephone poles are really an example of some really cool bird engineering

Freeheeln are you 100% self-taught or? Great work, and getting better all the time.
Yes self -taught. I was always a nature nerd and started to shot a lot of slide film ,mostly nature and scenic, until life got in the way. Studied Ansel Adams Galen Rowell early, Jimmy Chin does incredible stuff now. When I got back into it I had a local guy I was shooting wildlife recently that helped immensely.
Thank you.

They are surprisingly big - I would say bigger than a seagull.
My daughter has an nj beach house and there are a few osprey nests on my regular bike route, amazing birds

A2039DB4-BDF2-431C-8588-FB773787E2CD.jpeg

Between Auburn and Seneca Falls along 5 & 20 in the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge ya can see the big nests on the power lines.
Sometimes there are eagles & sometimes ospreys in ‘em.

I once visited someone who had three pet hawks..They had steel perch rings about 3’ diameter and had cages that were 15’x15’ roughly,the walls on either side of the rings were covered with poop . Damn .
Folks ask, “What came 1st. the chicken or the egg?".
Why wasn’t poop ever in the running?

Back