What's for lunch

I LOVE fried calamari! what kind of sauce?
One of the Italian restaurants (Stephano’s for those near Fishkill/Wappingers) near us doesn’t fire the Fried Calamari for your to go order until you walk in the door. So fresh, I eat my share hot on the car ride home! You get Marinara most places, but I prefer a nice garlic aioli. Love it when a place fries cherry peppers (Rhode Island style) in with the Calamari. I hated cleaning Calamari back in my restaurant days.

As for other great dishes with Calamari....a nice Scungille and Calamari salad with lots of cherry peppers and lemon....mouth waters just thinking about it!

Last edited:
Lunch is Boar’s Head ham and Bazin’ Buffalo Turkey with Alpine Lace Swiss, on nice fresh County White bread, with Mayo and Dijon mustard, with a nice cold A&W.

Lisa G's in Lake Placid serves their fried calamari like this ... it's very good.
We’ll have to hit up Lisa G’s (for takeout) next time up. We tried Luna last weekend, didn’t think it was very good. Also done with Smoke Signals. I want to like their food, but it’s just eh! Finally got me some elusive Pig Wings. They were eh! We need some new spots.

We’ll have to hit up Lisa G’s (for takeout) next time up. We tried Luna last weekend, didn’t think it was very good. Also done with Smoke Signals. I want to like their food, but it’s just eh! Finally got me some elusive Pig Wings. They were eh! We need some new spots.
I think there may have been a COVID issue or something at Lisa G's, but I'm not sure ... They closed "suddenly" last week, and their website says that they're currently closed until the 28th, and then, they will be opening for take out only.

I've been to Luna a couple of times ... it's OK ... I agree with you completely about Smoke Signals. I think it used to be a lot better.

We've actually had some good results at Generations, and the Dack Shack is pretty good too, but there really isn't anything to get too excited about these days. That said, we've only been doing take out since COVID hit, so it's not really fair to judge the food too harshly when you're taking it out.

We've been doing take out twice a week to try to support the restaurants in town since COVID hit, though most weeks, one of those nights is Johnny's Pizza. We try to pick a different restaurant each week for the other night from a set of about 6 or 7.

If you guys feel like a short drive a must hit is The Belvedere in Saranac Lake. It's really good and a complete classic.

Interesting the response by LP restaurants. Like Lisa G’s is having now, both Smoke Signals and the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery had COVID hit their staffs, with the same kind of temporary shut down. Smoke Signals, like Lisa G’s is doing, decided to reopen with takeout only. At the LP Pub & Brewery the bar was packed with people (not me) last weekend.

One of the Italian restaurants (Stephano’s for those near Fishkill/Wappingers) near us doesn’t fire the Fried Calamari for your to go order until you walk in the door. So fresh, I eat my share hot on the car ride home! You get Marinara most places, but I prefer a nice garlic aioli. Love it when a place fries cherry peppers (Rhode Island style) in with the Calamari. I hated cleaning Calamari back in my restaurant days.

As for other great dishes with Calamari....a nice Scungille and Calamari salad with lots of cherry peppers and lemon....mouth waters just thinking about it!
Stephano's is awesome, in my working life I sold food to Steve. Portions are immense as well.
Same for Aroma Osteria which you have mentioned before. Eddie does a great job.
I'm also a fan of Blue Fountain in Hopewell Junction.

Aroma is one of our favorites as well. We don’t get over to Hopewell too much, even though we used to live there (Inky Lane).

Back