Uphill Battle

Ripitz

I’m sorry, I have to vent. As an avid skier and occasional uphiller I just don’t understand what the big deal is about letting people tour inbounds. I’m not advocating a go wherever whenever policy but ski areas should really start to recognize this fast growing segment of our sport and allow and maybe even promote this healthy endeavor. Of course there are a few ski areas that allow it and they should be applauded. I have enjoyed being part of the dawn patrol at Whiteface but this years policies are crazy. $129 for three days a week between 6-8:30am? It reminds me of caddy day at Bushwood, “caddies welcome 1-1:15”. Wear a strobe, sign a waiver, get a signed permission slip from your mother and leave us your checkbook. OK maybe that’s too far... but I’d rather go ski the toll road. I understand it’s problematic for patrol and mountain operations but it seems there could be ways to resolve most concerns. We share the roads with cars, bikes, pedestrians and now, like it or not, ebikes. If someone cannot avoid an uphiller going 2mph up the side of a designated trail then I think they are the one that should not be on the mountain. (Know the code) I’m happy this activity is gaining popularity, I’m just disappointed in the lack of policies that promote it. I remember Jake Carpenter selling his Burton boards in the parking lot at Stratton and none of the ski areas allowed it. Now look at that sport, the knuckledraggers are everywhere!
What are your thoughts? Am I the only one who’s frustrated?

Pretty funny stuff. Head in from the reservoir and come out at the porcine.

Everybody wants something for nothing. I've got 4 days of human powered alpine skiing this year and not one was at a functioning ski area, although a couple were at long defunct areas.

I wish there were less policies, not more policies. Areas that have adopted uphill policies have been extremely unfavorable for uphillers, to the point that I am surprised any one actually pays for the experience. I am all for good uphill policies and I am fine with payment structures to help pay for the man made snow. But it has to have, at the least, some benefits.

I think Magic is one of the few exceptions, I recall their policies are friendly. MRG is solid, they just don't want you uphilling while the area is open, pretty much fair game at all other times. Can't think of any other areas with a favorable policy for turn earners.

So, those with local knowledge and/or more experience touring dump on someone with a point worth discussing, while totally missing the point? Nice!

Sorry TJ, your response was too cryptic for me (given my lack of local knowledge) but it seems the general point was ‘ha, ha...quit your bitching, there’s other places than WF/ski resorts to skin’? Rebel....I don’t believe it’s about people ‘wanting something for nothing’, but good for you and your superior abilities to get after it?

I can sympathize with Ripitz point. Not being someone who wants something for nothing (I usually pay for a WF uphill pass...but not in this year of gouging), I agree that more resorts should be uphill friendly, especially resorts on public lands. While it doesn’t have to be free (although some are), there should be access policies that encourage people to get into touring, rather than policies like WF’s this year which I can only assume is designed to discourage uphill users. I do agree that touring is destined to be a bigger part of the sport moving forward, and that’s something ski providers should encourage and embrace. While there are people out there like Rebel who are willing and able to go off on their own, there are others who want to get their feet wet with easier entry, so resorts should facilitate that....both for the good of the sport and to generate customers and revenue.

No it was a funny post he had. Go up the hiking trail and come out on porcupine lodge. Don't read to much into my posts.
I wouldn't pay to walk up a hill when they're is another one right across the street. Early season is tough I guess but just to cross country on light gear until the big lines open up.
Now say your sorry.

I ski uphill, I ski downhill, sometimes I go sideways. I ski front, back and accross the parking lot. I poach a lot too, sometimes on the up. All I want is to step out into the light on trails that I pay for with my tax dollars and season pass. They will close an entire trail so people can race down as fast as they can. Is’nt that dangerous? Halfpipes, rails and jumps with flat landings aren’t my thing but I don’t want to ban that. They do however take up a lot of real estate and all we ask for is 6 feet of the side of one trail. I just don’t understand what the big deal is. No policy is a policy in my opinion

So, those with local knowledge and/or more experience touring dump on someone with a point worth discussing, while totally missing the point? Nice!

Sorry TJ, your response was too cryptic for me (given my lack of local knowledge) but it seems the general point was ‘ha, ha...quit your bitching, there’s other places than WF/ski resorts to skin’? Rebel....I don’t believe it’s about people ‘wanting something for nothing’, but good for you and your superior abilities to get after it?

I can sympathize with Ripitz point. Not being someone who wants something for nothing (I usually pay for a WF uphill pass...but not in this year of gouging), I agree that more resorts should be uphill friendly, especially resorts on public lands. While it doesn’t have to be free (although some are), there should be access policies that encourage people to get into touring, rather than policies like WF’s this year which I can only assume is designed to discourage uphill users. I do agree that touring is destined to be a bigger part of the sport moving forward, and that’s something ski providers should encourage and embrace. While there are people out there like Rebel who are willing and able to go off on their own, there are others who want to get their feet wet with easier entry, so resorts should facilitate that....both for the good of the sport and to generate customers and revenue.
I’ll take your point a little further or maybe just more abstractly.......???

one could argue that getting their feet wet in a safer, more controlled environment will help keep them safe as they learn and eventually move into a more true back country environment. I think getting the basics in area is a great way to get acquainted with the gear and technique. In a back country setting even the little things or some mishaps with little things can open up a giant can of shit worms.

I ski uphill, I ski downhill, sometimes I go sideways. I ski front, back and accross the parking lot. I poach a lot too, sometimes on the up. All I want is to step out into the light on trails that I pay for with my tax dollars and season pass. They will close an entire trail so people can race down as fast as they can. Is’nt that dangerous? Halfpipes, rails and jumps with flat landings aren’t my thing but I don’t want to ban that. They do however take up a lot of real estate and all we ask for is 6 feet of the side of one trail. I just don’t understand what the big deal is. No policy is a policy in my opinion
You probably don’t want to hear this but......poaching is one good and valid reason the resorts don’t want uphill traffic.

Back