Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

The relative sizes are so close that other factors primarily the moon's elliptical orbit affect the character of central eclipses. Only 48% of them are total. The other 52% are annular (like last October in the Southwest) because the apparent size of the sun is larger than the moon so like partial eclipses, no corona, no solar flares, minimal darkening of the landscape, eclipse glasses required for the entire event.

Last edited:
To me the relative size thing is so cool.

You have this thing that is practically a religious experience for many, a fully religious experience for some.

And it's based on a coincidence. It says SOMETHING about the relationship between man and nature.

Think of how different the Earth would be without the Moon and tides etc.

I wonder what percentage of planets have moons?

Life on the planet's significantly affected-effected by the moon.
Tides, twice a day,... & the whole every 28 days thingy🍺.
Also why bugs are attracted to artificial lights.

My final take on the Total Eclipse.
IMG_1261.jpeg

To me the relative size thing is so cool.

You have this thing that is practically a religious experience for many, a fully religious experience for some.

And it's based on a coincidence. It says SOMETHING about the relationship between man and nature.

Think of how different the Earth would be without the Moon and tides etc.

I wonder what percentage of planets have moons?
Well said Harv!
1000019631.png

Cuse was kinda #1 on “tourism boost".
The TomTom data shows The UpState cities of Buffalo, Rochester & The Cuse don’t have nearly as much normal Monday traffic delays as most of the other cities displayed. Cuse was the only UpState city where traffic delays went up last Monday compared to normal. Twas a manic Monday for Syracuse.

Drone timelapse from a popular park in Skinny.

Less than an hour after totality things were back to normal for the pup fertilizing blueberry bushes.
1713080397947.png

Last edited:
My belated pictures of the eclipse from a boat off Isla Socorro in Mexico. The whole sky shot during totality was taken with action cam that had no exposure control, thus the eclipsed sun was way overexposed, and with its miniature display, can't judge if the totality was captured. The coolest part is when totality happened, the bright sun basically switched off and all you see is a hole in its place. Its as if one can climb into that hole. Very surreal.

DSC06621~2.JPG
DSC06628~2.JPG
DSC06629~2.JPG
1712970169020_SING_00144~4.JPG

Back