Today's Swim

Ripitz killed it on the swim yesterday btw. I’m sure there’s some front page material there so the good pics are sort on embargoed but it was a very cool event.

IMG_5558.jpeg

When flow-through pools—installed in rivers and filled by their currents—lined the perimeter of Manhattan at the turn of the last century, those static wooden structures were largely used as bathing facilities for the immigrant community. And if they were not habitat friendly, they brought people into the river.

Pete Seeger—musician, activist, and founding member of River Pool at Beacon, Inc.—remembered seeing pictures of those pools and thinking

“The more people swim in the river, the more people would be pushing to clean it.”

On Saturday I will attempt to cross the Hudson in the 19th Annual Great Newburgh to Beacon Swim. Check out the River Pool and consider contributing to the effort. A big thank you to Harvey and Brownski for supporting me. It’s about to get real.

Very cool Ripitz.

My girlfriend is an open water swimmer as well. We'll be in Placid this coming weekend as she has an event on Mirror Lake. Super stoked for her!

My girlfriend:

Lake Tear to Lady Liberty. Full send.

“This is the one river in the whole world which can send a message of hope to everybody: That your river — whether it be in Britain, whether it be in France, India, China — that your river can one day be saved.”

Back