Today’s Paddle

Those Lilly pads look like nice snapper territory

I never heard of a snapper in 13th. I don't really hear about snappers much in the Adk. It is within their range right?

I never heard of a snapper in 13th. I don't really hear about snappers much in the Adk. It is within their range right?
They’re there
A1505964-839F-4499-944D-1FD3CAA29F2C.jpeg

I saw that map too. Just never seen or heard of one in the adk. Sounds like they are there but it's not ideal for them.

Maybe. My experience is that they’re in just about every decent sized body of water whether you see them or not

Staying in the theme of fast canoes, here is my right-hand guy Colin figuring out how to paddle a vintage Wenonah J-180 that may be older than he is. Keep the wings out the of water. No snapping turtles were seen on this expedition.

J180.jpg

That's a cool looking boat. I was curious about what it looks like inside, especially how narrow it is. Googled to find this:

J-Series-Top.jpg

Yes, it is cool. Fast and surprisingly stable as well. I am pretty sure this is the 18' version. One of my other colleagues (who is my age) was into marathon racing in the late 80s and early 90s, and paddled that canoe in the General Clinton race a few times. Then he used it as a "fast and light" tripping canoe for big solo trips in Algonquin Park. Then it sat for long time until Colin convinced him to let us use it for the lunchtime paddle sessions. There are couple of other older racing canoes laying around the shop, the other day we paddled a "mixer" tandem. Basically a pro-boat with a modified stern profile so a lighter stern paddler can slide the seat way back to balance the trim. That canoe is a little edgy at first but settles down once it gets up to speed.

The tandem sorta looks like this but older and faded:

mixerC2.jpg

Back