Today’s Paddle

hope you gave your boat a shower too!

Kayaking is awesome. Did White Pond in Putnam County two weeks ago, heading to Bolton Landing and Burlington in 2 weeks. Connecticut's lakes and ponds are all FREE for kayaking!!!! No permit required. They have a 5,000 acre lake close to the NY border!!!

Broski on the Hudson. Thanks for helping me get across. You da man!

1691270806264.jpeg

Got in a little workout this morning. Nyack over to Tarrytown and back. Nice early start to hit low tide and avoid traffic…

IMG_5642.jpeg

I haven’t had the river to myself like this since I got caught in a big rain storm years ago.

IMG_5645.jpeg

The lighthouse on the Westchester side.

IMG_5655.jpeg

The Tap was looking good this morning.

IMG_5652.jpeg

If you zoom a little, you’ll see a yacht approaching the bridge. It was the only boat I saw on the whole trip. It worked out nice cause he had it wide open and threw off a good wake. It caught up to me as I paddled back and improved my speed a little.

IMG_5694.jpeg

Back on the Rockland side.

IMG_5699.jpeg

It was a little less distance than I expected.

IMG_5756.jpeg

Sweet shots.

Got out again today- 3 days in a row. I went back to my roots, Nyack Beach State Park.

IMG_5890.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

Signs, signs, signs….

IMG_5893.jpeg

IMG_5898.jpeg

It was getting towards high tide so floaters are to be expected. The nice thing here is that river is nice and wide so no tidal rush or whirlpools like you encounter on narrower sections to the north.

IMG_5903.jpeg

The cliffs and undeveloped shoreline north of Nyack Beach is what brings me back. It is a beautiful stretch of river.

IMG_5905.jpeg

This navigation beacon makes a nice landmark. I turned east here and started my crossing over to Croton Point.

IMG_5927.jpeg

The middle.

IMG_5943.jpeg

Croton Point on the Westchester County side of the Hudson.

IMG_5933.jpeg

It was a nice spot to tuck in under some trees and cool off for a few minutes while I rehydrated. I took the opportunity to stretch my legs out a little too. Then headed west across the river again.

IMG_5935.jpeg

There was more traffic by now but still not crowded.

IMG_5948.jpeg

Back on the Rockland side.

IMG_5958.jpeg

This section of the shore feels very remote. You can almost forget you’re at the center of the most populous megalopolis in the world.

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_5982.jpeg

All done. Back at the beach

IMG_6007.jpeg

It was a pretty good trip and a pretty good workout.

IMG_6008.jpeg

Not bodies- logs and branches mainly but pieces of docks, blocks of foam from coolers… just general detritus. It tends to accumulate along the shore and then some of it floats and moves around again at high tide.

Back