The Truck Thread

Harvey

Administrator
This didn't seem to fit in the Overland Thread, and I KNOW I am going to have more questions before I buy a truck next year.

Peter's tonneau cover comment got me thinking.

First question:

It seems like the manufacturers don't make CAPS for their truck, they are aftermarket. I haven't looked too hard, except at Toyota.

Is this true? If so why?

Second question - pros and cons of a cap? Who has one who likes their cap, who doesn't?

Who makes the best caps for Toyota and Ford?

It seems to me I see a lot of older trucks where the truck itself has held up much better than the cap.

If I don't get a cap I would probably get a cover, to keep skis dry/salt free etc.

My $.02: a cap is more practical, you'd be able to sleep in the back if you needed to. If you were to get a tonneau cover, get a soft one instead of one of those hard plastic deals.

I've logged at least one night inside every car I've owned.

This didn't seem to fit in the Overland Thread, and I KNOW I am going to have more question before I buy a truck next year.

Peter's tonneau cover comment got me thinking.

First question:

It seems like the manufacturers don't make CAPS for their truck, they are aftermarket. I haven't looked too hard, except at Toyota.

Is this true? If so why?

Second question - pros and cons of a cap? Who has one who likes their cap, who doesn't?

Who makes the best caps for Toyota and Ford?

It seems to me I see a lot of older trucks where the truck itself has held up much better than the cap.

If I don't get a cap I would probably get a cover, to keep skis dry/salt free etc.
Caps are great until you need to haul a dirt bike or new stove from Lowe’s. This might be a viable option, depending on the length of truck bed / skiis.

I don’t see a link for a spec sheet with dimensions, might be worth a phone call. Add a couple of new anchor points and you’re all set.

I'll be carrying ski, garbage cans and MTB's mostly. Occasional firewood. The cover would work for that. I guess sleeping under a tonneau would be weird or impossible? Are they watertight?

The cap is a PITA to take on and off I assume.

I don't think I would want drawers. I like the idea, but I'd want to put skis under it.

Had an A.R.E. cap for the Nissan 4WD 5-speed Nissan Frontier king cab. (couple flip down mini seats behind the 2 front chairs.
EZ peazy to clamp the cap on and off. Off in summertime on in wintertime.
Drove it for well over a couple hundred thousand miles. It was a tank like beast.
We could fit the 12 foot aluminum V-hull boat in the bed EZ too.
A loading dock like structure in the yard helps, if ya have a hill.

Most caps are made by one of only a handful of manufactures, I believe either A.R.E. or Leer are made in the same facility that produces Century which are often a bit less expensive compared to the prior two. You're likely going to need to go to a truck shop, kinda place that does bed-liners, tool boxes, caps, etc to purchase one. Find a reputable shop and they will lay the options out for you. Caps are also far more customizable than you may think, with all kinds of different window types, lighting options, the list goes on. My recommendation is to go for a mid-height, something that sits maybe 5" above the cab height and get windows that lift up from the bottom for access if you do end up going cap over raw bed. Tracks to mount a roof rack are also a really nice option to include though they can be added after market. I do everything from sleep in my covered bed to hauling trade show equipment and use it for recycling center runs, at 6' tall I can stand albeit very crunched up in the back and change my clothes which was great when the ski lodges were closed during covid. One note, they don't completely seal out the wet in heavy rain storms so if you want it bone dry back there you're going to need to do some custom work to plug up the holes. Caps are worth the added investment ATMO especially if you're viewing this vehicle as a tool.

The thing I like about the cover (vs cap) is it's always there and doesn't need to come on and off.

Skis, cover on.

Bike or garbage cans, cover off or open.

Are the covers waterproof?

The thing I like about the cover (vs cap) is it's always there and doesn't need to come on and off.

Skis, cover on.

Bike or garbage cans, cover off or open.

Are the covers waterproof?
My cap does not come on and off, still can fit bikes and garbage cans under there or do the hang the fork and front wheel over the tailgate and just leave the rear window open.

I don't think any bed solution is 100% water proof but my assumption would be that the pleather velcro tonneau covers to a better job keeping the water out than a more mechanized system like a Retrax. Which brings up another point, nearly all of those mechanical "roll up" tonneau covers are going to eat up at least a foot of bed space.

nearly all of those mechanical "roll up" tonneau covers are going to eat up at least a foot of bed space.

I didn't know that.

What do you think about the solid ones on a hinge?

Back