The Incredible Music Thread

Perfect. I don’t understand the cultish aspect of the dead either.

grateful-dead-dancing-bears-belt-by-bison.jpg

Me either, though I do enjoy the music, especially American Beauty. Here's my fun and skiing-related Dead story: back in the fall of 2010, I drove to Vermont for a little R&R, hiking with the dog and on a mission to pitch the Blogger Summit concept to Steve Wright at Jay Peak. At the time, I had no idea that Steve was, and remains, a huge Dead fan. Deadhead, I guess. Since it was skiing, I dressed causal for the meeting and, completely coincidentally, wore my Bison belt with the Dancing Bears embroidered on it (see above). I had bought it because I thought the bears looked cool, and only learned afterwards that it was a Dead thing. Anyway, I arrived, waited in some uncomfortable sofa from the 70s, and eventually get welcomed into Steve's office. The decor is eclectic, to say the least: an old pair of Line twin-tips, empty Scotch bottles, Dead poster, August West posters. HST memorabilia and a lot of other random, interesting stuff. This is not your average marketing guy, I surmise (his job at the time). Steve, of course, immediately noticed my Dead-themed belt, pointed it out and started quizzing me on my level of fandom. I came up with some lame but apparently satisfactory reply, and the rest was Internet history. @Harvey

@Sick Bird Rider email me that pic and I'll make it work. I agree Steve is quite a human.

I never knew to much music before I went to college. Mostly listened to the folk my parents liked (PPM, Dylan, Glen Campbell and some other random stuff they liked (Herb Albert) plus what was on the radio. Remember those days when "everyone" liked the same (radio) music?

When I got to college upstate I learned of the dead. EVERYONE was listening to it. I do dig it. Sometimes I get lost listening to their long jams. They are one of the few bands where I often like the studio versions better.

View attachment 9753

Me either, though I do enjoy the music, especially American Beauty. Here's my fun and skiing-related Dead story: back in the fall of 2010, I drove to Vermont for a little R&R, hiking with the dog and on a mission to pitch the Blogger Summit concept to Steve Wright at Jay Peak. At the time, I had no idea that Steve was, and remains, a huge Dead fan. Deadhead, I guess. Since it was skiing, I dressed causal for the meeting and, completely coincidentally, wore my Bison belt with the Dancing Bears embroidered on it (see above). I had bought it because I thought the bears looked cool, and only learned afterwards that it was a Dead thing. Anyway, I arrived, waited in some uncomfortable sofa from the 70s, and eventually get welcomed into Steve's office. The decor is eclectic, to say the least: an old pair of Line twin-tips, empty Scotch bottles, Dead poster, August West posters. HST memorabilia and a lot of other random, interesting stuff. This is not your average marketing guy, I surmise (his job at the time). Steve, of course, immediately noticed my Dead-themed belt, pointed it out and started quizzing me on my level of fandom. I came up with some lame but apparently satisfactory reply, and the rest was Internet history. @Harvey

I only got into the Dead AFTER they stopped getting shoved down my throat. My Dead story: I saw them play Madison Square Garden in 1988 with some of my co-workers. One guy, Bob-a-loo, was the official Grateful Dead stringer for WDHA radio. Between sets, he called the station, and he'd say, They started with Jack Straw, then went to Tennessee Jed, then they played..." You get the idea. I swear to God he must have known 30% of the people in the Garden. "Long time no see! Yeah man, that was a great show at Red Rocks in 1976!"

Never saw them live. Have a tie-died T friend gave me after a week skiing at Kmart. It’s still nice.
Got more interested in them after listenin to their channel on Sirius during drives midweek to and from Gore passin thru the middle of the southern Daks.

Brought back memories from livin in a dorm across the street from the Crane School of Music.
Ladies have talent.

Back