The Horse Thread

It depends. What was happening? Were they being ridden, or just hanging out? Being ridden can bring in breathing things. If they were just hanging out, I would probably go with just clearing their nose. They will also do that while being ridden, to clear out a bug or arena dust.

They were eating grass and I was riding by as stealthy as I could be, progressing at walking speed, not making eye contact. I actually walk my bike when I go past the inner riding area.

There is definitely one horse that doesn't like it when I come past him/her.

They were eating grass and I was riding by as stealthy as I could be, progressing at walking speed, not making eye contact. I actually walk my bike when I go past the inner riding area.

There is definitely one horse that doesn't like it when I come past him/her.
Actually, stealthy is not good. Say hi, ask how their day is going, etc. It sounds like they might be high blowing. Horses are prey animals. As soon as they know you are not Evil Harvey Of Doom, they will be much more relaxed. Bikes can be scary. Major props for you for getting off your bike!

ETA, does it sound like when a scared deer high blows?

Last edited:
I don't know how to describe it. It sounds like they are breathing out and their lips are flapping.

I'm not really supposed to be there, so greeting the horses might not go over well. It's public property meaning walking is fine, but they don't want you riding or bringing dogs inside a certain area. They used to maintain a separate bike route around the barns but they don't mow it anymore.

If they tell me I actually can't cut through the equestrian center all of a sudden my idyllic ride, right from my house, 15 beautiful miles of single track and gravel, becomes 12 miles, with 5 miles on a road, with little shoulder. And I miss out on all the woods.

I am on my best behavior. I have spoken to every horseback rider I come across, and they taught me that you just don't know how a horse will react, so it's best to dismount. Some horses could care less, but you just don't know.

Other bike riders have come into the picture lately, young kids, and I've tried to talk to them about keeping it cool and not going nuts when the horses are out. I'm sure they think I am a crazy old fart.

I would walk the whole thing, and I do when they cut the grass, but when it is tall I stay on the bike to try to avoid ticks.

If I can get through 2 more summers without getting booted out, I be in the Adks riding my own trails.

In the Morris County park system, both runners and cyclists have to yield to horses. If I'm roller skiing and someone is riding a horse on the road, I've noticed that horses really dislike the sound of ice points hitting pavement. So I'll no-poles ski past them.

Same here. All yield to horses.

Well, to be fair, they generally weigh over 800 pounds, have the IQ of a 4 yr old, the communication skills of a 2 yr old and are pretty well armed with hooves and teeth. Horse explosions are rare but if you see one you’ll remember it forever.

Back