Tell Me What You Know about Siding

Thanks DB was wondering. I assume you can also get the acrylic paint to match the pre-paint?

Did you do pre-prime or pre-prime and paint? Which do you recommend? Zelda found a color she likes in the pre-paint selection.

Just catching up on some NYSB reading and came across this thread, which I think I have some useful info to contribute.

Harv, you've seen our place, but you prob weren't paying attention to the siding at that time. It's fiber cement board (i.e. Hardi/LP/etc) for the horizontal lap section in the lower areas, and then real cedar shake in the gables and all the trim board are cedar. We actually used a product that is made by a company that takes the standard Hardi/LP/others material and puts their own coating on it, with benefit mostly being the two toned look to mimic more of a wood than what you typically see with Hardi plank in solid colors. Each brands warranty still applies. Maybe this is of interest to you if debating on fiber cement options and maybe being hung up on the color choices or maybe wanting more of a wood look.

https://woodtone.com/product/rusticseries/

We actually didn't buy from this exact manufacturer, as it's based in Canada, but we bought through a distributor who sells this same product under a different name. Could provide you with more details on that if you wanted to pursue it, too much to write here. This is going back to 2017ish that the place got sided.

It's held up very well, better than all the real cedar which some could use more stain again.

As far as the ends go, as I see was already mentioned, you coat the cut ends in the field.

Ours is installed over Zip sheathing, which has all the seams taped, and as previously mentioned eliminates the need for any house wrap product. Really like the zip system, started seeing it up north alot, and now we see it all over the place down here at the shore. Seems to withstand LONG periods of exposure to elements prior to siding going up, even though I'd try and limit that of course. I know a few places that I see regularly in both locations that seem to have been sitting in Zip for years now...

If you're up in the ADKs next week by chance, and feel like swinging by LP, I'll be up there and you're welcome to come see it in person if interested

*edit: I lumped LP into the fiber cement category even though it's an engineered wood, but for the purposes of my message I think you got the jist. I was thinking in hardi terms since that was our route

Last edited:
The builder did it. I'm fairly sure he got a primer that was reasonably close, then painted when it was on the house. I assume he did the caulking after the painting, because the edges are impeccable.

As a note, when selecting paint, we rotated combinations of paint colors, i.e. trim and wall, and looked at those in all types of light. Full sun, partial shade, night. We wrote down how much we liked each combination, changed pairs and did it again. We did this for interior and exterior paints. We may have gone back again a day or two later to confirm, I don't recall exactly.

Paint changes too much with light and surroundings to not do this. And given that you seem to like to be a maven about something, this approach may appeal to you.

Paint changes too much with light and surroundings to not do this. And given that you seem to like to be a maven about something, this approach may appeal to you.

I don't think we have this kind of time now. Are there any constants you learned? Go darker, go lighter than you think. Or?

What do I maven? :)

This stuff looks amazing. How much does it add to the cost of the siding?

I don’t know the side by side cost comparison, and it’s probably worthless anyways since it’s been several years and pre-materials cost boom of past few years, so you’d have to get some quotes. We have the Hardi version of the product, and seems like you’re leaning LP so that prob impacts cost as well. I’d get some quotes on this vs the standard LP stuff (remember its the same substrate, this place just does their own coating), and see how much difference it makes.

As far as the coating goes, warranties aspect aside and assuming getting proper life expectancy, the down the road refinish situation (hopefully like never or maybe in 20-30 years) seems like it would be the same, you’d end up painting the stuff the same way I assume you would the solid standard material, maybe you couldn’t re-create the two tone but worry about that if you even ever have to…I guess the point is ultimately you could return it to a solid if your tastes change

I don't think we have this kind of time now. Are there any constants you learned? Go darker, go lighter than you think. Or?

What do I maven? :)
Just that paint changes with light and surroundings. That may result in better than you thought or maybe not as good. That means how each color meets your expectations individually and how the combination meets your expectations. It doesn't take that long, really. Pick out a bunch of paint chips and go. That said, I don't know your schedule.

So far, you're asking some very good questions on a variety of topics, and in a good level of detail. Nothing is guaranteed, but it sets you up for success. Building a house is constant decisions, often with limited time. I think this kind of prep helps to avoid decision fatigue. I doubt many people do that level of detail. During our process I was told by two different parties that I was "very diligent" and that I "was the most thorough client that he's ever had." I took both as being just on the right side of being a real pain in the ass. At least that's how I took it.

Just that paint changes with light and surroundings. That may result in better than you thought or maybe not as good. That means how each color meets your expectations individually and how the combination meets your expectations. It doesn't take that long, really. Pick out a bunch of paint chips and go. That said, I don't know your schedule.

All we've done is look at colors on a computer. If siding is going to take six weeks to deliver, I've got a month left tops.

So far, you're asking some very good questions on a variety of topics, and in a good level of detail. Nothing is guaranteed, but it sets you up for success. Building a house is constant decisions, often with limited time. I think this kind of prep helps to avoid decision fatigue. I doubt many people do that level of detail.

I need to go through it so even if I screw up I don't feel bad because I tried. This whole time I imagined one day A-man would say "ok we need to order the siding" and I wouldn't have figured it out. Landing on the LP is a bit of a relief. The color thing is a curveball.

During our process I was told by two different parties that I was "very diligent" and that I "was the most thorough client that he's ever had." I took both as being just on the right side of being a real pain in the ass. At least that's how I took it.

Dude we need to have a beer on a deck somewhere. I agree that you should minimize the instances when you are a pain in the ass to the builder or GC. And also I believe in paying promptly. I really think that helps.

I can't tell all here how much they have helped. Really appreciate it.

Back