Summer Weather 2023

Ran into a thru-hiker who was drying out at the Appalachian Market in Garrison today. He made it through Bear Mountain Park and over the bridge just as the storm hit. Spent the day and night in a one man tent up on Anthony’s Nose. He said the whole mountain was like a waterfall. That must have been quite a hell ride.
When I hiked on the AT from Springer Mtn Ga. to Roanoke Va. it was like a cloud followed us.
Folks said, “It hasn’t rained in weeks.” We said, "Don’t worry, we’re here now."
The rain was better than the 90s heat when we stopped in early July along the Blue Ridge.

I’m not surprised to see the damage to 218 considering the excessive rainfall amounts. Hopefully the repairs don’t take too long to implement.
I hope they take their time. It is a remarkable place to walk and rollerblade when it is closed to traffic.

July 10, 2023
" . . .
Some predict the aftermath could be worse than Hurricane Irene, which caused $13.5 billion in damage to the region in 2011. “It's an unfolding disaster,” said Peggy Shinn, Vermont resident, Olympics sports writer and author of the book Deluge: Tropical Storm Irene, Vermont’s Flash Floods, and How One Small State Saved Itself.

“Irene dumped a huge amount of water, but in a relatively short period of time, this storm is extended, with the forecast showing it looping back over Vermont tonight and into tomorrow,” Shinn said. And though Irene mostly affected only the central and southern parts of the state, “this storm will likely devastate the entire spine of the Green Mountains.”

Forecasters predict multiple rounds of moderate to heavy rain over portions of Vermont and northeastern New York through Tuesday morning, with as much as another 7 inches possible.

NOAA's Weather Prediction Center (WPC) has placed most of Vermont and portions of northeastern New York under a rare "high risk" of excessive rainfall—the first high risk issued for Vermont since Irene.
. . ."

Montpelier is flooded and the upstream Wrightsville Dam is filling fast.
Hope it holds and doesn’t go over the spillway to exacerbate.

i usually don't comment on summer weather...this is turning into one shit summer...I don't see a end to this pattern..yeah we will have some sunny days , but rain and humidity and clouds will dominate for the foreseeable future.
droughts don't last for ever in the NE but rainy patterns seem to go on for ever..
I agree. As per usual, the guy who has hayed the fields that go with my barn missed the first part of the summer. Most people I know got hay in a month ago. The hay will be crap, as normal. Fortunately, Draco just needs it for roughage. My only requirement is that it is not dusty (moldy). This will be harder to do as the nights get longer and the dew stays on longer.

I hope they take their time. It is a remarkable place to walk and rollerblade when it is closed to traffic.
Many people say this.

Just a hunch, but the DOT probably has bigger priorities right now than a road that has two convenient gates on either side to close traffic.

July 10, 2023
" . . .
Some predict the aftermath could be worse than Hurricane Irene, which caused $13.5 billion in damage to the region in 2011. “It's an unfolding disaster,” said Peggy Shinn, Vermont resident, Olympics sports writer and author of the book Deluge: Tropical Storm Irene, Vermont’s Flash Floods, and How One Small State Saved Itself.

“Irene dumped a huge amount of water, but in a relatively short period of time, this storm is extended, with the forecast showing it looping back over Vermont tonight and into tomorrow,” Shinn said. And though Irene mostly affected only the central and southern parts of the state, “this storm will likely devastate the entire spine of the Green Mountains.”

Forecasters predict multiple rounds of moderate to heavy rain over portions of Vermont and northeastern New York through Tuesday morning, with as much as another 7 inches possible.

NOAA's Weather Prediction Center (WPC) has placed most of Vermont and portions of northeastern New York under a rare "high risk" of excessive rainfall—the first high risk issued for Vermont since Irene.
. . ."
I'm truly fearing the next Alpine Update from Geoff. Work on the black chair was to start yesterday, that's obviously not going to happen now, so prepare for another season of that project on hold. Right now they need to fix all access points on the property and clean out the pond so they can pump water this winter.

Climate change sucks.

Back