Snowmaking

Don’t eat the Yellowstone Club snow.

And now folks are applying for another wastewater snowmaking permit.
Why would the headline call it powder?

I don’t know about white powder coming out of the wastewater but I know there’s a lot going in.

And now folks are applying for another wastewater snowmaking permit.
Why would the headline call it powder?
Don't think the writer or editor (if there was one) knows much about snowmaking. The term "treated snow" is in the body of the article, which makes no sense at all. The snow from a snowgun using treated wastewater isn't going to be any different. That's the point of treating the wastewater first. The result be called "powder" if the temp and humidity is good but it's never going to be the fluffy powder that's the most fun when untracked.

Bromley snowmaking article
I can't stand this sort of statement from the author, "making snow requires enormous amounts of energy, which creates planet-warming emissions." It all depends on the energy source. And even if the power is from "dirty" sources, most snowmaking is done at night when power demand is much less.

Also, has the snow pack really disminished that much out west? Cali has had a couple of record breaking years. Utah was, I think, 40% above average this year.

I'm no climate change denier; more of the opposite. It's these half truths that give real deniers ammunition.

I can't stand this sort of statement from the author, "making snow requires enormous amounts of energy, which creates planet-warming emissions." It all depends on the energy source. And even if the power is from "dirty" sources, most snowmaking is done at night when power demand is much less.

Also, has the snow pack really disminished that much out west? Cali has had a couple of record breaking years. Utah was, I think, 40% above average this year.

I'm no climate change denier; more of the opposite. It's these half truths that give real deniers ammunition.
I read the statement about "planet-warming" in the context of diesel air compressors. Later on in the article:

" . . .
Bromley is among the many snowmakers that have been able to eliminate, or drastically reduce, its dependence on diesel air compressors. Electrifying the job has also allowed some resorts to incorporate renewable energy. Bolton Valley, in Vermont, features a 121-foot-tall wind turbine. Solar panels now dot the hills of many others, including Bromley, which leases a strip of land beside its parking lot for a solar farm. The array produces more than half the power its snowmaking system consumes.
. . ."

Reading about snowmaking in the northeast or out west always makes me smirk a bit. The ski ops managers in the southeast are way ahead of the curve when it comes to using newer snowmaking technology. The resorts still in business have been constantly upgrading snowmaking infrastructure since the 1970s.

It has in some areas, but not necessarily for the reasons cited in the article. “Unpredictable” snowfall patterns are much harder to attribute to climate change. However, rising temperatures are having an effect on snow levels and season duration, particularly in lower elevation regions like the PNW.

The higher elevation resorts in Colorado and Utah are a bit more immune (for now), but the lower elevations of Park City and Snowbasin will start to see shorter seasons and thus diminished totals, if they haven’t already.

I agree that attributing every atypical weather event or large season fluctuations to climate change, especially when there is little evidence, gives the skeptics ammunition and undermines support.

The higher elevation resorts in Colorado and Utah are a bit more immune (for now), but the lower elevations of Park City and Snowbasin will start to see shorter seasons and thus diminished totals, if they haven’t already.
The increasing amount of snowmaking being done by the LCC/BCC resorts to make sure they have enough open terrain for the winter break holiday period is probably a reaction to the shift in snowfall during November and early December in that region. Even Alta has invested in big fan guns for the core groomers in order to have top-to-bottom coverage during early season. A deep base by early January that includes snowmaking snow means a better base during late season. As southeast resorts have known for decades.

Deer Valley invested heavily in snowmaking early on. Alterra obviously thinks that's enough in the near future given the major expansion that's already happening.

Back