Ski Tracking Apps and Stats

Andy_ROC, I think Trace thinks any time you are in free-fall, you are in a middle of a jump. Not sure how accurate it is, since I remember it saying I have jumps close to 100', and at 50mph, 100' is over 1.5sec, which I don't think I have ever been close to that. I can't even login to the app to check out the history, and the website's history doesn't have any jump stats. What I did like was its correction from correction of deviant data. Those 80mph spurts that appears during recording of a session disappears once it has been uploaded to its site. I also liked its heat map of the runs overlaid over the trails (on the app only), allowing a visual view of where one is fastest, etc, as opposed to a speed graph vs time that most other apps displays.

I use Ski Tracks as the primary because it is the most accurate, but its interface is arcane, can't swipe from one run to another, making viewing or comparing between runs cumbersome or impossible.

Ski Tracker is really inaccurate, giving me a insane number of runs and total vertical. It also logs every 3 seconds vs 1 second for most of the other apps. I run it just so I have a record of that day in that app, but I rarely view its history because its data is useless, and it wants me to watch an ad, which never shows up and waits forever when I use a phone based vpn. It also seems to use the most battery, based on last week when I was running Ski Tracks, Ski Tracker, Strava and ,my Fitbit watch, which was connected to my phone and getting its GPS info from there.

Da-bum, you know I forgot about the heat map on Trace, but that was pretty nice.

Agreed Ski Tracks does seem to be very accurate whereas Slopes messed up run counts all the time. We Ski's top speed always matches Ski Tracks for me. At first We Ski distance was too high compared to Garmin and Ski Tracks but he adjusted the distance algorithm and it seems well in line now. My gripe about Garmin, and I have a ticket open with them, is that they don't capture true top speed but more of a top sustained speed.

Thanks for the update on Ski Tracker-- I won't even bother with it.
That's Charlie Dickerson. He skis for about 6-6 1/2 hours (according to him any more than that and it's like work!) per day at Bristol and either eats his lunch on the chair or the yurt at the top. Just another Bristol character!
Hey Johnny, Yeah "Charlie D" (I didn't know his full name)-- he was number two last year behind a beast of a woman "Liz" whom had over 6M vert at Aspen Highlands. He and I chatted on the chair once a few years ago. Anyway if you talk to Charlie I'd be curious to hear what app he is using now. They all use to compete against each other on Trace and I always enjoyed watching their progress throughout the season. I miss Trace for that reason alone.

I'll ask him next time I see him. The only thing I keep track of is days (although I did check speed on my wife's phone-she uses Snoww).

They just rolled out a leaderboard on We Ski.... looks very good so far. They just need more users now.
Also has privacy settings to opt in/out.

Last edited:
My season is over. Mostly gore a few days at Belleayre and couple days at WF.
2C27583E-BFD1-4E56-AB27-B70A3BA81A0C.jpeg

Today marks 6 years, 278 ski days and 7,963 cycling miles on the new hip!

Just wanted to make an endorsement for "We Ski and Snowboard" app for android and iPhone.

I've found this to be absolutely the best ski tracking app I've tried since the abandonment of Trace Snow aka Alpine Replay.

We Ski tracks and maps your entire ski day. Each run with the usual stats of distance, vert, speed, time, etc. Lift stats as well; vertical, lift names, lift time, lift length and lift wait time. No data connection required until it's time to upload for processing at the end of the day. Also to see lift wait times from crowd sourced data.

You can trim your runs for example if you forget to turn it off when you drive away from the mountain.

As long as you have a data connection you can see where your "friends" are on the mountain.

You can export GPX files into a mapping tool to analyze your tracks in greater detail.

They also have a public leaderboard.

The app is easy on the battery of my Galaxy S10e and has been super stable with no crashing or missed runs.

I've found the data vastly more detailed and useful than Strava or Garmin.

The only vested interest I have with this app is that the more people that use it the better it will be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-123506_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123506_We Ski.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20220222-123516_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123516_We Ski.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20220222-123537_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123537_We Ski.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20220222-123546_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123546_We Ski.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20220222-123559_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123559_We Ski.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20220222-123618_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123618_We Ski.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20220222-123631_We Ski.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-123631_We Ski.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 72
That’s a lot of data
Yes it's a lot of data. I mostly use it as a log so I can track my ski days and runs. But when I was out west I was able to use the map, run and lift detail to review areas I'd been that day and plan areas of the mountain I wanted to get to the next day.

When the lift broke down at my home mountain when I was on it, I was able to look back and see exactly how long I was dangling there :)

The leaderboard was always a fun aspect of TraceSnow-- watching some people getting 4M-6M feet of vert in a season. Glad We Ski added the leaderboard. While chasing vert isn't my thing(nor do I have time) it was always fun watching these leaders during the season.

Does anybody here use a tracking app when they ski?
I use the free version of Skitracks. I don’t anally save every day (but the day we did the summit to Ski Bowl run was 24 runs, 21miles and almost 23k vf), it’s just nice to know the run count, distance and vertical feet at the end of the day.

Back