Ski Tracking Apps and Stats

Slopes looks like it's still in development. I track my workouts on Garmin and have a link to Strava. I might play around with Slopes but I can't see frittering away more time on apps.
Not pushing any specific apps but I find slopes to be pretty well tuned and it links with Strava. There is a premium version but the freemium version has plenty. I have an iwatch and you can use the watch and then link everything up. Saves my phones battery. I also think it's pretty accurate. My son used the app on his iphone and everything was pretty much in sync except for speed, of course.

Why don't you guys just use strava? Is their something wrong with it? I have used it for MTB, skiing and running. Seems to work fine.
Yeah, to expand on this a bit, Slopes has *A LOT* more cool stuff than Strava. Like, seriously, a lot. But it can also send just the stuff that Strava uses with one click. (I use Strava too bc I'm a triathlete when I'm not skiing).
Slopes looks like it's still in development. I track my workouts on Garmin and have a link to Strava. I might play around with Slopes but I can't see frittering away more time on apps.
Every app is always still in development, if you think about it. But Strava has been fully featured for at least a few years. Their last release added a lot of new stuff including resort maps, weather reports, and crowd-sourced conditions updates for damn near every resort on earth.

Which Garmin are you using?

Which Garmin are you using?
I've got a Forerunner 935. It's my second Garmin, I'm quite pleased. NB I use a chest strap for heart rate monitoring.

@Tjf1967 My Forerunner tracks multiple sports; un sure whether golf is one of them though.

I use an app, onx hunt, for hunting. It's the best app I've ever used. It shows property lines, gives the names of the property owners, has satellite view, topo view, and hybrid which is a combo of both. They also have a backcountry app that some may find useful if that's your thang. If it's half as good as the hunting app it's well worth the 20 bucks /year they charge.

That would be great for fishing as well. Always better to ask permission than run from a shotgun.

Yeah, to expand on this a bit, Slopes has *A LOT* more cool stuff than Strava. Like, seriously, a lot. But it can also send just the stuff that Strava uses with one click. (I use Strava too bc I'm a triathlete when I'm not skiing).

Every app is always still in development, if you think about it. But Strava has been fully featured for at least a few years. Their last release added a lot of new stuff including resort maps, weather reports, and crowd-sourced conditions updates for damn near every resort on earth.
I remember someone's ski stat from Strava and it was recording the lift ride as part of the distance skied. Even right now, when I export the data from my ski app, it is telling me I hold the record on the number of times I went on one of the segment, which is the 'segment' where I am riding up on the lift.

Also, how accurate are the speed calculations, taking into account that a skier is never going in a straight line. I had ones that seem to weigh many sample points, so peak speed is always off, others are irratic, likely due to using raw provided gps data. Trace Snow use to upload the recorded data to their cloud, where the would perform some analysis so the result is more accurate. My peak speed usually drops by a few mph after their analysis.

Can't really speak to the speed accuracy but I do think that much of the Slopes app is pretty reliable. The number of runs is accurate and the vertical is pretty reliable, both me on my iwatch and my son with his iphone had just about the same vertical feet last weekend. It also seems to do a good job of distinguishing uphill, downhill, and standing still time. I'll race him down Showcase this weekend and will see how close our speeds are - I suppose they may be off in terms of actual speed but would be nice to know if it's consistent. There is a paid version but the free app offers quite a bit.

32D2E30D-5A1A-4D2D-ADA3-F0596A5B8A3D.jpeg

I had to 2 apps running from the same phone, one from my fitbit watch where the gps data was provided by the phone, another Ski Tracks app recording on the phone. Here is the instance where my skis sank in a ditch and I took a long dive just as the headwall was ending, then hiked uphill to reunite with my skis, which were picked up by someone and left on the side. Both roughly with the same starting and ending point.

Fitbit tracks:
1610245276043.png

speed:
1610245580694.png

Ski Tracks track:
1610245697191.png

speed:
1610245721469.png

The fitbit app seems to smooth out the speed, thus it still shows that I was going 40+ mph after I recovered and was walking up the hill. The Ski Tracks lost GPS signal in the faster section, thus pretty much showed practically no speed until I after I fell, which is where it suddenly jumped in speed.

Plus, as you can see, neither of them tracks the actual path that I skied with any accuracy. I might try to record with the strava app also just to see if the data is more accurate or instantaneously

Back