Ski Tracking Apps and Stats

lukoson

I’m new to the site but have been reading for a few years. Any interest in a section for posting ski stats? I’ve been using the “slopes” app past couple of seasons. you can track using smart phone or Apple Watch. I think there are some other apps too. Just a thought.

Attachments

• 64F663B1-50AE-47E3-9181-8478491182B2.jpeg
    64F663B1-50AE-47E3-9181-8478491182B2.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 215
Luke, belated welcome to the forum.

FYI wanted to make sure you knew about this thread:

It could be used for your stats.

I personally have never been into stats beyond how many days and how many powder days I get per season.

But based on chatter I've heard from skiers and riders, I think that is likely, or at least possible that others are into it.

I'm breaking this out into it's own thread. If it gets some traction maybe we'll do something more permanent.

I used Trace Snow for the past 5 years and really like it a lot but now they're gone :(. I went to enter my first ski day in a few weeks ago and found I couldn't upload it to their servers. A little bit of online reading told me that Trace Snow is kaput.

Trace Snow is Dead

Really bummed as I liked to go back and look at those old ski stats.

I'll have to give Slopes a look. Thanks.

I used Trace Snow for the past 5 years and really like it a lot but now they're gone :(. I went to enter my first ski day in a few weeks ago and found I couldn't upload it to their servers. A little bit of online reading told me that Trace Snow is kaput.

Trace Snow is Dead

Really bummed as I liked to go back and look at those old ski stats.

I'll have to give Slopes a look. Thanks.
I tried using Trace snow on my new phone and couldn't login, so I brought a tablet where I was already logged in, and after recording, it turned out I couldn't upload. I knew they were end of life, but just thought the app was not supported anymore. Since I got an android, Slopes was not an option. I downloaded a free app called Ski Tracker and a paid one called Ski Tracks. I wanted something where I can access the information through browser and app like Trace Snow, but neither seem to be that way, but Ski Tracks also stores the data in their cloud. Ski Tracker is wildly inaccurate in terms of runs and vertical elevation, and Ski Track's display looks like straight out out of DOS, but if you dig a little deeper, it gives useful and graphical information.

I think you can still see your old ski data, and download all your old sessions for safekeeping.

Why don't you guys just use strava? Is their something wrong with it? I have used it for MTB, skiing and running. Seems to work fine.

I use an app, onx hunt, for hunting. It's the best app I've ever used. It shows property lines, gives the names of the property owners, has satellite view, topo view, and hybrid which is a combo of both. They also have a backcountry app that some may find useful if that's your thang. If it's half as good as the hunting app it's well worth the 20 bucks /year they charge.

Why don't you guys just use strava? Is their something wrong with it? I have used it for MTB, skiing and running. Seems to work fine.
Next time I go, I will run strava also, in addition to Ski Tracks, Ski Tracker and fitbit that I am already running. I remember it was real lame. I want something that records the true speed I am going. Some apps ramp up the speed real slow, or samples too infrequently where the turns traversing the whole width of the trail becomes a relatively slow run. The only time it probably records accurately is you are straightlining down.

I had big wipeout on a runout at the end of the steeps where my skis dropped into a snow covered ditch and I slid head forward for over a hundred of feet. I went back to the multiple apps to see how fast I was going when it happened. Some app shows that I was still increasing speed even after the point where I fell.

Slopes looks like it's still in development. I track my workouts on Garmin and have a link to Strava. I might play around with Slopes but I can't see frittering away more time on apps.

Back