Shop Talk

There’s a whole thread dedicated to the subject on TGR. I read through it when I picked up some old skis for $20 a year or so ago that I was gonna transfer some old bindings onto. I formulated a plan that I believe would work but I still haven’t summoned the courage to start drilling
Yes, between TGR and TJF I’m ready (?) to stop blindly paying the shop....maybe.

Yes, between TGR and TJF I’m ready (?) to stop blindly paying the shop....maybe.
For $75, I might be willing to make my $20 skis into $95 skis but I probably can’t find a shop that will install 20 yr old bindings on 30 yr old skis

For $75, I might be willing to make my $20 skis into $95 skis but I probably can’t find a shop that will install 20 yr old bindings on 30 yr old skis
So you have no choice but to fire up the drill yourself. What are you waiting for, a shop to reconsider?

I don’t know. It should be easy- the front holes even line up already. I only need to drill the back

I wouldn't lift a finger for less than 75 bucks if a customer were not a regular. Just not worth it. It going to take them close to an hour to do it.

I had my Stormriders with Shifts and Ultravector BCs with Fritschis done at Ski Haus. I trust them. Brian who does most of the mounts is trustworthy even though he’s a snowboarder. I don’t mind paying the mount fee for the peace of mind, even though I could do it myself. I just hate waiting for them. It makes me sad leaving my skis somewhere. If it’s slow they can do them while you wait but right now they are busier than ever. I go there enough that they’ve hooked me up with other things over time. Ryan is good with boot fittings. I’m going back to have my S/labs punched and new liners cooked. Do you have Tech boots for this setup? If not then I would go to High Peaks and do everything at once. Try on boots, have them cooked and do the mount. They’ll probably give you a break. If you don’t want to wait and don’t have Tech boots you can mount them yourself and still downhill ski the Shifts with Alpine boots in the meantime. Also, I think you mentioned swapping bindings. So that would be a redrill? That always makes me a little nervous.

My thought is to pay for a shop to do the mount. I've mounted 100+ bindings, having a jig is the move imo... In Breck we were dirt cheap at $50. Doing it without one could work for ya... Too expensive, high-engineered gear for me to 'just send' on the install. Also measure each ski- I've seen 'rec mount point' lines to be quite off between each. Different bit sizes for different base materials, also some need tapping. You can drill fine but under or overtighten (strip threading) when tightening down screws. What type of glue? Loctite? I can keep going..

Let alone supporting a local business/shop? I've gotten Kingpins mounted at High Adventure twice now. Bought Pomoca skins there also. They seem on point. Makes me feel slightly better about spending their time trying on a host of boots they had in stock, only to search around to save $ online.

OK quality basic tune work and good vibes from management at Potter Bros (Kingston). Good to know about Pro Shop in Hunter.

I probably shouldn’t hate on Potter Bros. Problem is all their knowledge and service seems to be in Kingston. The Fishkill shop is underwhelming. Limited selection of generally overpriced stuff. We’ve gotten a couple jackets there for the kids, but otherwise it’s not a place I shop. Gear has to be sent up to Kingston for work, adding days to service time. Then there is the problem that they are the only game in town from Fishkill to Kingston, and they know it. I’m a capitalist at heart, but when they feel emboldened to charge $89.95 for a mount just because they can....I’ll take my $$ elsewhere.

Bought Pomoca skins there also.

OT to the thread, but I bought a pair of these on ML's recommendation. He said they were far superior to anything else. Still haven't used them because my G3s are still sticking (I wasn't expecting they'd be any good after two year, but surprise!)

So what is so great about the Pomocas?

TBD w the Pomoca mix. Albany shop carries em. They're def. lighter than my old g3 alpinist, better glide without any less traction. Solid so far, that said besides needing a reglue, the g3 were going strong, after 4+ seasons

Back