Shop Talk

Who do you think is going to do it for you for 50 bucks? Some Stoner skier that works in the basement of a shop. Do it yourself if you f*** it up you'll know way before you ski on it. I don't see screwing it up it's pretty hard to screw up. It's just a little scary at first.
You make a good point, although High Peaks did a good job with the Radicals a few years back. I am leaning toward pushing past the irrational fear of doing my own though....

I don't care for center mounts they make me feel like I'm over the front of the ski too much. I have a pair of Billy goats with dukes at home with a center Mount that I've used like six times.

I had to have a shop do it. AT bindings require a special jig. Anything these days can be youtubed. Just go slow.

I don't care for center mounts they make me feel like I'm over the front of the ski too much. I have a pair of Billy goats with dukes at home with a center Mount that I've used like six times.
I hear you. The Marksman is a playful twin tip with a lot of rocker and the center mount works well with their swing weight. The Radicals are center mount and I love the way the setup skis. The Ripstick are a directional ski that will need a more traditional mount, but I may consider going plus a couple from the recommended line on those as well.

Last edited:
I had to have a shop do it. AT bindings require a special jig. Anything these days can be youtubed. Just go slow.
The more I read....a jig is nice to have, but not necessarily necessary. The Shifts, given their Multi-Norm configuration and AFD adjustment, have a few complicating factors but there is lots of available info.

Ive done some myself with paper templates. get yourself a bit depth gage / stop and have at it. My feeling is that my time and aggravation is worth more than the $30 delta (or even the full $80) to have the convenience and piece of mind of just dropping them off. But we have a pretty good local shop and I know the guys who are doing the work...

My feeling is that my time and aggravation is worth more than the $30 delta (or even the full $80) to have the convenience and piece of mind of just dropping them off.
Yeah, I get that. However, I get oddly caught up on principle sometimes. $89.95 for a mount might be the most convenient....but it’s highway robbery! From a shitty shop no less!

If I decide I don’t want to give it a go myself I’d rather wait a few weeks and do it at High Peaks in Placid, where they aren’t bending me over a barrel as bad....

There’s a whole thread dedicated to the subject on TGR. I read through it when I picked up some old skis for $20 a year or so ago that I was gonna transfer some old bindings onto. I formulated a plan that I believe would work but I still haven’t summoned the courage to start drilling

Back