Saddleback and Sugarloaf, ME: 3/6 - 3/8/23

Ok, found an alternative to the Rt. 16 ordeal. We headed south out of Rangeley on Rt. 4, and then turned off on Rt. 142 to Rt 2 back into Vermont and 91. It's a longer distance, but much much better road surfaces.

Check it out:

It used to be 16 in new Hampshire was horrible. Now it's 16 in Maine. I think from lake George north its quicker to hop into Canada and come across. Not sure what those roads look like but they cannot be any worse.
6 hours door to door can not be beat going through The land of Eh, not to mention they may take umbridge with my mother nature;)

It used to be 16 in new Hampshire was horrible. Now it's 16 in Maine.

Last time I went 16NH to 16ME was about a dozen years ago, it was a total roller coaster. Berlin to Erol got some paving done recently. I did that stretch on my road bike last summer and it was very nice. I remember 16ME after Erol was bad, but not epic like NH16. I assume it is much worse now?

I've used ME17 from Mexico more recently, but that can be nasty too (unless it has gotten paved since the last time I was up there)? The drive to Saddleback is long enough without the roads being atrocious. Just part of the experience.

I love Saddleback. But hard to justify the drive when I can get anywhere in VT at least one hour faster. Definitely recommend everyone try it at least once, it is a great mountain.

PXL_20230309_192203277.jpg

Sisters killing it again today.

Jeez. Looks like the sun came out today. We didnt make it all the way over there. Next time.

Back