Saddleback and Sugarloaf, ME: 3/6 - 3/8/23

Benny Profane

Made a long road trip from Killington to Rangeley Lake, Maine. Primarily to ski Saddleback, but go over to Sugarloaf for a day, since we both have iKon passes. Saddleback is about twenty minutes from Rangeley, Sugarloaf about forty minutes, so it's a good base to go out and explore, since it has plenty of beds and decent food. Lots of snowmobilers, too. Tons. Big trail system and they seem to like driving on the lake.
First day at Saddleback was super windy, and most everything was shut down except a short bottom lift and a T-bar. Some fun skiing off the T-bar, though, and the top of the mountain looked like a lot of fun in the sunshine. Sugarloaf was pretty much shut down on Monday, too. So, we bought tickets online for Saddleback for Wednesday (49 senior) and used an iKon day on Tuesday at Sugarloaf. Brackett Basin, a pretty big tree area, was a lot of fun, but a bit icy and overly bumped. Lots of grooming everywhere else, didn't attempt the snowfields, they looked kind of nasty and windblown.
Back to Saddleback on Wednesday. Always wanted to go there since I read about the new owners and investments. A real gem of an Eastern mountain. No crowds, nice lift infrastructure. We found fresh powder from a few days earlier in a lot of places. I hope it succeeds, but, at the moment, it's an ideal place to experience great snow and lots of trees without crowds.

Driving there is an ordeal. Maine roads are in awful shape from this strange winter. Frost heaves and potholes everywhere.

Here's some pics:
PSX_20230307_142228.jpg

PSX_20230308_165642.jpg

PSX_20230308_165531.jpg

PSX_20230308_165039.jpg

PSX_20230308_124912.jpg

PSX_20230308_124739.jpg

PSX_20230307_163519.jpg

PSX_20230305_173638.jpg

PSX_20230306_174328.jpg

PXL_20230306_174153667.jpg

PXL_20230306_154211912.jpg

PXL_20230306_142641081.jpg

Driving there is an ordeal. Maine roads are in awful shape from this strange winter. Frost heaves and potholes everywhere.
Just arrived in Rangely to do the same trip. The road almost shook my fillings out and I only saw ONE other car for the last two and a half hours.

I'm up here too. Saddleback is loaded with very few skiers. Didn't do anything off the j-bar. Spent all/most of my time on the fixed grip quad. It's all I needed. Skiing Sugarloaf today. Been skiing up burnt every morning. Today I'll walk over from bracket with my big skis to get the soft deep snow.
Dogs are loving the ski down

It used to be 16 in new Hampshire was horrible. Now it's 16 in Maine. I think from lake George north its quicker to hop into Canada and come across. Not sure what those roads look like but they cannot be any worse.

Made a long road trip from Killington to Rangeley Lake, Maine. Primarily to ski Saddleback, but go over to Sugarloaf for a day, since we both have iKon passes. Saddleback is about twenty minutes from Rangeley, Sugarloaf about forty minutes, so it's a good base to go out and explore, since it has plenty of beds and decent food. Lots of snowmobilers, too. Tons. Big trail system and they seem to like driving on the lake.
First day at Saddleback was super windy, and most everything was shut down except a short bottom lift and a T-bar. Some fun skiing off the T-bar, though, and the top of the mountain looked like a lot of fun in the sunshine. Sugarloaf was pretty much shut down on Monday, too. So, we bought tickets online for Saddleback for Wednesday (49 senior) and used an iKon day on Tuesday at Sugarloaf. Brackett Basin, a pretty big tree area, was a lot of fun, but a bit icy and overly bumped. Lots of grooming everywhere else, didn't attempt the snowfields, they looked kind of nasty and windblown.
Back to Saddleback on Wednesday. Always wanted to go there since I read about the new owners and investments. A real gem of an Eastern mountain. No crowds, nice lift infrastructure. We found fresh powder from a few days earlier in a lot of places. I hope it succeeds, but, at the moment, it's an ideal place to experience great snow and lots of trees without crowds.

Here's some pics:

Great photos. Ok with you if I insert them full size? It's easy to do BTW.

Back