Recommendations for 2nd Ski (Start of a quiver)

I come from an era where I taught skiing on 210 Atomic Yellow Sleds, skied bumps on them, skied pow on them, and skied crud on them. A skier can make any ski do what they want to do. When in doubt straighten them out ;)
Duuuuude....you can even make ‘em do what you want by employing the good ‘ol Stem-Christy...but why?

Skiing is just more fun, and more efficient, if you stick with the times! It took me a looong while to learn that.....

Last edited:
And heres something to think about. I don't do much touring any more but all my skis have hybrid touring bindings on them and I use touring boots. Not the super light stuff. The ones that are good at down hill: like these

They are great to walk around in, rubber lugged soles and lighter than regular boots. Same with the bindings..much lighter..couple that with a light ski and ..a lot easier to do anything out there.
Yeah, I wouldn’t consider new boots for myself or my boys (both 17 and up, using my hand-me-downs) without tech fittings. Given the MNC nature of things these days, plus my desire for my kids to be able to use my touring setups, there’s no reason. I’m currently skiing K2 Pinnacle Pros, but there are a lot of very good similar boots out there now. Not the lightest, but with a 130 flex there is no compromise on the down! 100 flex may be lighter (?), but is that stiff enough for typical alpine? Last boot I had that wasn’t a 130 flex had to be a pair of rear entry Raichle RX8.

Last edited:
Duuuuude....you can even make ‘em do what you want by employing the good ‘ol Stem-Christy...but why?

Skiing is just more fun, and more efficient, if you stick with the times! It took me a looong while to learn that.....

Not disagreeing with any of this. I simply stated it ain't the arrow, that's all ;)

And yes, the new skis are more fun because they're easy to ski and don't require work to make them turn. It's really cheating imo. But I guess it really isn't cheating, eh??

Crap, now I'm so confused ?‍♂️

Maybe I’ll try the one in Ithaca, Cayuga Ski

The owner there is an awesome boot fitter. I got mine there, he took all the time in the world with me having them custom fit. They ain't cheap, but BY FAR the are the best performing boots I've ever had.

When I took my old boots in he started laughing as he's pulling all the different wedges I had duct taped in there. He shook his head saying, yeah we used to do that back in the 80's too. LOL

Not disagreeing with any of this. I simply stated it ain't the arrow, that's all ;)

And yes, the new skis are more fun because they're easy to ski and don't require work to make them turn. It's really cheating imo. But I guess it really isn't cheating, eh??

Crap, now I'm so confused ?‍♂️
It’s all good.

I saw some super skinny straight skis at Platty on Sunday....probably would make Broski jealous!

Sultan 85
loved that ski, bought a pair of legend x106's the end of last season. Great in soft snow but still trying to figure them out on the groomed

i'd love to know why he steered you away from the qst

It’s all good.

I ski on cheater skis now too

However, I can say I do know and understand how to initiate a turn, weight the middle of the of the turn, and finish a turn. New skis just add pressure and roll your ankles = cheating :geek:

Shaped skis came out before the tram was built.
That may be true but they were only seen on the feet of tourists. Most expert skis at that time were skinny and had GS side cuts. Parabolics and fat skis first came about to help people with less experience. It took years for them to be embraced at the higher level.

Back