Plattekill Conditions

Thanks for the info, that's helpful. (And possible I was mistaken about Overlook. Does it typically get groomed when open?)

Was debating whether to pick up the early bird season pass with the oldest turning 4 in the fall and the great network they've made with local partner hills. But only a savings of two 🍻 at the bar :LOL:??

I love Platty but their pricing incentives have never made much sense:

1715286430616.png

Was debating whether to pick up the early bird season pass with the oldest turning 4 in the fall and the great network they've made with local partner hills. But only a savings of two 🍻 at the bar :LOL:??

I love Platty but their pricing incentives have never made much sense:

View attachment 24794
Perhaps they don't like the concept of pressuring people to make a decision in the spring. Another distinction from Ikon/Epic/MCP.

There is a bigger difference for Youth, $50, as compared to $20 for Adult. For a family with 2+ kids who qualify for Youth passes, that feels like a reason to commit in the spring.

How does Pair of Adults work? Any two adults or do they have to have the same address?

I noticed that for the upcoming season the renewal discount for the MCP doesn't have a deadline. Can save the $30 as long as the MCP is on sale. The lowest MCP price, $605, goes away by mid-May.

They are advertising the "get your season pass at it's lowest price before it's too late!!!" on Instagram though. Well maybe it's not paid advertising.

How would you price it?
The difference for early purchase is not compelling. There should be a bigger discount for early purchase or a bigger penalty for the later purchase. The longer customers wait for to buy a pass the higher the risk of not making the purchase because the money might go somewhere else.

You're saying that as an customer or owner?

With that pricing the owner is saying he/she cares more about yield vs getting the money upfront. Every way you look at it, their pricing telegraphs that message. They want a limited number of skiers at a higher yield.

Obviously passholders like the model, or they wouldn't be passholders. Skiers who don't like it, aren't the target market. Plattekill passholders think it's a good value. I'm one of them. There's always a seat in the lodge and liftlines don't exist. I didn't wait for a lift for 20 minutes combined all year.

How would you price it if you were the owner?

You're saying that as an customer or owner?

With that pricing the owner is saying he/she cares more about yield vs getting the money upfront. Every way you look at it, their pricing telegraphs that message. They want a limited number of skiers at a higher yield.

Obviously passholders like the model, or they wouldn't be passholders. Skiers who don't like it, aren't the target market. Plattekill passholders think it's a great value. I'm one of them. There's always a seat in the lodge and liftlines don't exist. I didn't wait for a lift for 20 minutes combined all year.

How would you price it if you were the owner?
As an owner. I want the money before it goes elsewhere plus I get the cash flow. On what planet do they want to limit the number of skiers?

Pricing decisions are more difficult than they seem. If they lowered the early price, they would probably have to raise the late price, or the window price, or charge more fror rentals or whatever. Some smaller hills don’t bank enough money during the season so they need to sell passes in the spring to pay their electric bills. Lasz has a good summer business model and is careful with his money so he’s in a good position to make it through to next winter. At this point he probably just offers the discount because people expect it. If it’s not worth it to you to buy early, you don’t have to.

Back