Pico, VT: 2/4/22

Awesome shots of the rare C+S Outpost, those lattice towers are so retro sweet
It was awesome. Definitely came in hot on the entry, standing sideways as a boarder had to really keep an eye out or you may have gotten chopped!

This was a real last minute strike mission, not deciding until about 7pm and leaving around 8pm Thursday night.A marathon ice to snow drive, arriving in Rutland around 2am, left room for just a few hours of shuteye.

The pico staff was still digging out when we pulled up around 7:45 the next morning and a few uphillers were poaching a line or two.

View attachment 12788

There were bountiful opportunities for first tracks with minimal to zero grooming and whatever had been groomed was mostly reburied before first chair.

View attachment 12779

We made our way up a mid mountain lift and “traversed” over to the summit chair on a trail with just enough pitch to feel out the snow quality: like surfing on water. It had a perfect amount of denser support pow underneath with a layer of blower on top.

The line under the summit chair was full of magical drifts, bumps, and drops reminiscent of a powder field in British Columbia. No photo documentation was had on that first run as sometimes you just want to be as present in your flow as possible. It was pure bliss. We lapped the summit chair for a few before the other lift options opened up.

View attachment 12780
View attachment 12781
View attachment 12782
View attachment 12783
At some point we figured they must be almost done digging out the Outpost lift, a classic 1969 double chair of Italian design (I learned this from another thread on this blog) which services never groomed natural.

To our surprise there was no one in line and it hadn’t opened yet. The only tracks were from a couple uphillers. The lift attendant said “no more than 10 minutes” and gave us that look like “yea you’re going to want to catch this first chair.” And so we waited for it as others passed it up for currently spinning options. That turned out to be an excellent choice.

View attachment 12784
View attachment 12785
View attachment 12786

We skied that side until it was sufficiently chopped.

View attachment 12787
View attachment 12789
View attachment 12790
View attachment 12791
View attachment 12792
View attachment 12793
View attachment 12795
View attachment 12796
We had never been to Pico before and I can say it was just about the same exact vibe as Plattekill on a powder daize except double the size. Ski on lifts, classic rock bumping, and abundant deep snow boundary to boundary. I’ll still take freefall top to bottom as best powder run on the east coast but a few here came close.

View attachment 12798
I too was there that day. Best day of the season, hands down. I almost always choose Pico over Killington because it's old school.

I too was there that day. Best day of the season, hands down. I almost always choose Pico over Killington because it's old school.
Toga you got any shots from the day?

@saratogahalfday Would the skier in my photos happen to be you by any chance? Would have loved to link up and get some shots of the skiblog crew.
Nope, I'm not in any of those fine shots. I only took a couple of pics of the powder to send to those who bailed on the day. I skied the summit until around 1, then went over to Outpost for a while, before finishing at the summit and Little Pico, which had some good powder left on it. I only went inside to go to the backroom.

Back