Paying a Speeding Ticket in New York State

talking about scams, just got a 50$ speeding ticket in the mail. Speed Cams in NYC... at least there are no points attached to it..still it's a freaking money grab
I got a mailed speeding ticket driving in I-95 after 10pm near DC from a camera for a construction zone. At that time of night no one was working. Was a while ago before there were legal cases about what could be done with just a camera with no human present. We mailed the $40 in, no points, no record for insurance purposes. Apparently now the impact for points or insurance depends on the state.

I do not know how jurisdiction works in NYS, but the NYS Thruway does not go though the Village of Brocton. If that was NJ, Brocton would not be able to handle the speeding ticket.

talking about scams, just got a 50$ speeding ticket in the mail. Speed Cams in NYC... at least there are no points attached to it..still it's a freaking money grab
If there is an option to argue against the fine, try that. I tried that on an automated red light ticket last year and then never heard another thing on that matter. Saved me $200.

SBR said Brockton, which it turns out is in WNY, so I figure he meant I90 rather than 95. Wouldn’t really make much sense to go through NYC on a trip from Ontario to Pennsylvania
edit: also, speeding on the Cross Bronx is physically impossible most of the time.
Thanks, got my Interstates mixed up. It was I 90.

I do not know how jurisdiction works in NYS, but the NYS Thruway does not go though the Village of Brocton. If that was NJ, Brocton would not be able to handle the speeding ticket.
I believe that in NY the local traffic court handles all tickets but I don’t think I ever got a ticket on an interstate. They have all been on parkways. All but one were from state troopers but the local municipalities always add a surcharge. DMV will mail you an additional fine for having points over a certain level on your license too. I think it’s six points

On I-95 south of DC, the local court closest to the infraction deals with a speeding ticket. I had one long ago in southern VA. My husband got one south of Raleigh. AAA helped me deal with mine, but I had to show up in person with the local attorney. The town involved was tiny, with the court house and post office being the primary buildings at the center of town. Don't remember what my husband did.

Thans all for the replies. Camp's link is for the New York City fine only, but appreciate the effort. Blue Toes will have a pit stop in Brockton on her upcoming PA trip. What a schmozzle. Here in the Hinterlands, you get a ticket and the fine in outlined on the notice. Unless you want to wait and go to court, it is easy to pay online, Done and done.

Last edited:
Thans all for the replies. Camp's link is for the New York City fine only, but appreciate the effort. Blue Toes will have a pit stop in Brockton on her upcoming PA trip. What a schmozzle. Here in the Hinterlands, you get a ticket and the fine in outlined on the notice. Unless you want to wait and go to court, it is easy to pay online, Done and done.
Mail it in with a guilty plea. They send you a bill in the mail and you pay it. You were speeding, What do you care about points? They role off after a certain amount of miles. You are not in the States that much.. Does points on your license in America affect your insurance premium? If not who cares. We plea down speeding tickets for insurance, if it didn't effect that we would all just pay them.
If you are in danger of getting to many points on your license I would suggest paying better attention to those signs on the side of the road.

Mail it in with a guilty plea. They send you a bill in the mail and you pay it. You were speeding, What do you care about points? They role off after a certain amount of miles. You are not in the States that much.. Does points on your license in America affect your insurance premium? If not who cares. We plea down speeding tickets for insurance, if it didn't effect that we would all just pay them.
If you are in danger of getting to many points on your license I would suggest paying better attention to those signs on the side of the road.

That's what we would do if she didn't happen to be going down there next week. Seems easier to pay in person rather than wait for the mail and get flagged somehow for having an unpaid ticket in NY. Not worried about points at all.

Back