Parking Lot Base Camp

This is our old family "lodge" parked slope side at Big Sky Madison base area. Perfect for when kiddos need a nap. My wife and I can take turns skiing and hanging out with the little ones. We actually have a different but similar one now.
IMG_20190421_102234.jpg

That’s perfect

Wow that brings back memories. I managed to pull off a full season in the Big Sky Mountain Village in a 34’ trailer. We got kicked out of the free skier lot after a week and they told us we had to go down to the Canyon. My girlfriend and I had jobs in the Huntley working breakfast so we told them that wasn’t happening and that their housing wasn’t adequate. They agreed to look the other way if they couldn’t see us and if no one complained. Ended up behind the Mountain Lodge. I gave the guy who plows the parking lot (who was in charge of evicting us) a case of beer to push a huge pile of snow with a loader to hide our rig. We got Shoshone spa season passes that we used for our bathroom and showers. We would spend nights swimming around the outdoor pool drinking cocktails like we stole something. A lot has changed since then. You couldn’t pull that off anymore. I’ll try to find a photo

Wow that brings back memories. I managed to pull off a full season in the Big Sky Mountain Village in a 34’ trailer. We got kicked out of the free skier lot after a week and they told us we had to go down to the Canyon. My girlfriend and I had jobs in the Huntley working breakfast so we told them that wasn’t happening and that their housing wasn’t adequate. They agreed to look the other way if they couldn’t see us and if no one complained. Ended up behind the Mountain Lodge. I gave the guy who plows the parking lot (who was in charge of evicting us) a case of beer to push a huge pile of snow with a loader to hide our rig. We got Shoshone spa season passes that we used for our bathroom and showers. We would spend nights swimming around the outdoor pool drinking cocktails like we stole something. A lot has changed since then. You couldn’t pull that off anymore. I’ll try to find a photo
Oh man! That's living. Great story. Yeah, Madison base area is still a little "wilder" until that too gets built out.

The little cabins that serve as lodge facilities are not long for this world.

I gave that trailer to a buddy of mine who buried it even higher on a real estate lot below the boneyard and Herbie meadows off the Bozeman trail. I went out to visit and I couldn’t believe it. We would ski in and ski out during the day, build pallet bonfires at night and fly around on his snowmobile. No one knew he was there. Now there are multi million dollar trophy homes people barely use in that same spot. Big Sky can build all the new employee housing they want but there will always be dirt bags hiding in the woods

there will always be dirt bags hiding in the woods
It's a BIG place. Great stories.

Friends of mine have been trying to have safety meetings at all the secret shacks. Let's just say it's an ongoing endeavor.

They are everywhere. The foggy goggle is one of the first and most famous. Some dummy made a map showing 30+. I think there are liquor boxes too. There’s a private locked one in the trees at the Yellowstone Club that opens up into a mini bar. I can’t show a picture of that.?

Last edited:
Back