NY Snowmobile Conditions

Is this an above average year for snowmobile conditions and/or are there more snowmobilers out there? I think that it has been a long time since I have seen as many snowmobiles as I have this year.

Like skiing, it's been quite a few years since we've had consistent cold temps which has kept the trail system primo. Every year we can ride here in Virgil but to get away from the hills was the challenge due to the snow/thaw/snow/ thaw pattern. Right now we could ride to Canada from here. Best year in a long time!
Due to that I think we're seeing more riders here because you don't have to trailer to Tug to ride.

Covid has also been good for the sport of riding sleds. Most dealers have been out of product since December and people who haven't registered their sleds in years have done so.

February has been an awesome sled month, several friends have been out all month . A couple made the the Childwold( 18 milesNW of Tupper ) to Big Moose run on the old rr right of way and then onto Eagle Bay and Inlet . A few sore backs ensued ?? but a good time was had by all .

Never rode a sled but looks like phun, i remember in the 60's when it first became a thing . My buddies at the college all had Bombardiers. The largest dealership at the time in the country was in Malone an hr away .

I remember all the monday am coffee hr bs sessions and it SEEMED like ya better be a damn good mechanic at the time lots of issues back then with " bogey wheels " Most of these dudes were teaching engineering so they loved being grease monkeys ??. And like Campsters crew they always made several century rides from NNY to the Daks .......good times .

Like skiing, it's been quite a few years since we've had consistent cold temps which has kept the trail system primo. Every year we can ride here in Virgil but to get away from the hills was the challenge due to the snow/thaw/snow/ thaw pattern. Right now we could ride to Canada from here. Best year in a long time!
Due to that I think we're seeing more riders here because you don't have to trailer to Tug to ride.
At Song I’ve been parking next to a place where snowmobiles made a trail so ya can ski right to car with no walking in the parking lot. It’s at higher elevation too so easier. When leaving yesterday three snow mobiles come riding up the parking lot and shut em down next to me and a friend who skied with me that morning.
The sled riders were friends of mine on a tour around Otisco and Skaneateles lakes and just happened to see me at car. Needless to say we went to Preble’s Mountain View as New bar at Song wasn’t yet open. Skiing is fun. So is Snowmobiling.

It was stellar
Mash taters
PXL_20210227_221927795.jpg

PXL_20210227_221923504.jpg

PXL_20210227_221918845.jpg

PXL_20210227_213346456.jpg

Back