New Member Intro

Mostly kindergarten for 16 of my years, last 3 years were 5th grade.

My wife's family is from Ossining...did you know the Zirella's?

SPP
I’ll have to run that name thru the memories bank but it doesn’t ring the 1st bell.
Was only there for a couple years and the schools were very good.
Went to Brookside before AMD.
Their Little League system was fun. Played for National Plumbing.
We kayaked The Hudson a couple times.

I’ll have to run that name thru the memories bank but it doesn’t ring the 1st bell.
Was only there for a couple years and the schools were very good.
Went to Brookside before AMD.
Their Little League system was fun.
We kayaked The Hudson a couple times.
I started my career at Brookside teaching 2nd Grade...1991.

My wife's family lived right down the street from Brookside at the corner of Campwoods and Narragansett.

SPP

Never lived in Ossining, but I did live for a couple years in Croton-on-Hudson. As one of my customers at the time said, "Never trust anyone who lives more than 5 miles from the river."

SlowPokePete here...

Back into skiing after 20+ year hiatus. Generally a solid intermediate, currently almost 60 years old, first ever ski experience was a an approximate ten year old, went to Gore Mountain as a Boy Scout.

Skied a bit, but admittedly never really got into it....long drives, long lines, etc.

Very active....avid cyclist, kayaks (flat water now, but used to paddle Class III/IV whitewater), outdoorsman, motorcycles (have an "84 BMW R80ST).

I retired from teaching in Ossining after almost 30 years, moved north to Columbia County, and now have Catamount a mere 15 minutes away.

So...rented some gear and went over there last week for a half day.

Picking up all newly purchased gear tomorrow from Steiner Sports ... Nordica Enforcer 94's, Tyrolia Attack 14 bindings, etc.

Hoping to get out at least 4-5 more times this season, and definitely gonna take a ride up and ski Gore one day.

Looking forward to extensive reading and learning.

SPP

Instagram ... https://www.instagram.com/slowpokepete/

Strava ... https://www.strava.com/athletes/403203
Welcome! Catamount is a cool little mountain. The Cat and Berkshire East combined pass seems like a good deal for people who live in the Berkshires. I checked them out using the Indy Pass.

As someone who didn't ski much at all from age 25-50 and wasn't ever a parallel skier on straight skis, I highly recommend taking a few lessons. Especially if you'd like to keep skiing into the 70s and beyond. The investment in time and money can pay off quickly with more enjoyment away from more crowded slopes used by ambitious intermediates.

I got up enough nerve to introduce myself to members of the Wild Old Bunch at Alta last April. I'd say the average age of the regulars is 75, with quite a few over 80. The 80+ usually ski with a "younger" ski buddy who is in the 60-75 age bracket.

Have you heard of the 70 Plus Ski Club? They do trips to Europe and New Zealand, in addition to having annual gatherings at in Vermont and at Nub's Nob. There are annual race days at Mohawk and Hunter. I'm not quite there yet but close enough to pay more attention to the trip schedule. The folks I met at Nub's were very nice.

Back