HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

Tile might be 15% of the floor (just guessing). Is it really worth it to add another zone for that much?

IMO Yes ,It will prevent mold and mildew. Although your plumber should use a foam gasket under the toilet rather then wax because the wax can get too soft and leak.

I have 3 zones of radiant and one zone has a section of baseboard heat for really cold periods. It doesn’t run all that often.

It’s not cheap but it’s an investment in comfort . If you’re doing ductwork anyway you could use a hydro coil for second stage heat and add a humidifier.

I didn't know about the mold. Good to know.

Won't know how many investments I can afford until we get going I guess.

I agree the number you wanna know is like the 80% efficiency temperature? What is that?

Here in NJ. We have a heat pump and that's what I leave it set at. I forget 35 or maybe 40.
Mitsubishi HyperHeat has 100% heating capacity at 5F and around 80% heating capacity at -13F.
"These are true cold-climate heat pumps designed to deliver 100% of heating capacity down to 5 F."

https://hyperheatpump.com/

This link has a good read about the Mitsu Hyper Heat and below zero temps

Those ceiling mounts look much nicer than the wall mounts.

Those ceiling mounts look much nicer than the wall mounts.
With new construction they are easy to install throughout your house. We put them in our bedrooms with attic above. They are much nicer than the wall units.

How's the volume?

How's the volume?

They have a ceiling cassette that fits into a drop ceiling but I haven’t used any of those. Fujitsu makes 9,12,18kbtu Mini duct , they are inverters so they up and down. Very quiet!

Buddy of mine is coming over this week to give me a quote for heat pump, splits, etc. I'll share what info he gives me, and look forward to any/all comments.

Does anyone know if there's money available/tax break for converting to electric heat pumps? Certainly not necessary for me to install, but if there is, I'd be foolish not to look into it.

Buddy of mine is coming over this week to give me a quote for heat pump, splits, etc. I'll share what info he gives me, and look forward to any/all comments.

Does anyone know if there's money available/tax break for converting to electric heat pumps? Certainly not necessary for me to install, but if there is, I'd be foolish not to look into it.
Oh yeah there is. Just Google it. Not certain about income limits. You are going to get federal and state breaks.

Back