HVAC: What's best for cold climates?

Harvey

Administrator
However heat pump technology is evolving rapidly. Some of the new mini split heat pumps for cold weather will be able to maintain the efficiency above 100% even at -15°F, 200% at 20F, 400% at 45F. I've seen some claiming -22 still at 100%. What is that going to look like in 2030?
I been seeing more about this lately.

Do mini-splits work without ducts (exclusively) or can they work with that kind of distribution? Our floor plan will be pretty open, but not completely.

I'm thinking Heat Pump + Propane for our new place. Get a heat pump that goes below zero, and use propane for backup heat, fireplace, stove and generator.

I been seeing more about this lately.

Do mini-splits work without ducts (exclusively) or can they work with that kind of distribution? Our floor plan will be pretty open, but not completely.

I'm thinking Heat Pump + Propane for our new place. Get a heat pump that goes below zero, and use propane for backup heat, fireplace, stove and generator.
Heat pump in floor heating. Wood stove back up. You will farm enough blow down on your property to heat the place many years.

Heat pump in floor heating. Wood stove back up. You will farm enough blow down on your property to heat the place many years.
I think we want AC too so it's going to likely be ducts. But not too many.

Definitely having a woodstove. Two actually. The one in cabin, and one in the basement. Seems like a prudent way to backup when all else fails.

Heat through the floor is the best. Air ducts with a heat pump is the worst. The air temperature is not warm enough to prevent it from feeling drafty. A gas furnace with ducts is better but still not as good as heat through the floor. I’m not sure about mini splits. If it’s me in the Dacks I’m skipping the central AC and going with a window unit in the bedroom. I’m also going with electric water heater just to keep propane out of the house. YMMV

mm

I don't like it when people tell me what I can and can not heat my house with. I'll use whatever the hell I want. That's why.
Sure I get that, I don't like to be told how to do something either.

This is also nothing new either. We've been told similar things before; switching to unleaded gas, fuel economy standards high efficiency gas furnaces and water heaters requiring new and sometimes costly venting. If you've ever had central air go then you more than likely had to buy an entire new system because the old one used a refrigerant that was outlawed. Light bulbs, which by the way LED are revolutionary over incandescent and fluorescent tubes and a thousand other things.

Even if you don't think carbon is causing climate change, fossil fuel is limited so it behooves humanity to use it as efficiently as possible. There are times when we must think beyond ourselves.

@Harvey I only know about this because I happened to be discussing split mini's with my BIL last weekend whom is in the hvac business. I've seen people use 1 unit in small homes. Not sure how well it works just that I've seen it done. I know you don't need ducts for air conditioning from what I've seen.

Appreciate your thoughts.
I'll be surprised if this BS actually goes through for any area outside of downstate. Maybe downstate should just move to California, seems like a better fit.
Meanwhile, I'll put wood in the stove and gas in my truck ✌

@Harvey I only know about this because I happened to be discussing split mini's with my BIL last weekend whom is in the hvac business. I've seen people use 1 unit in small homes. Not sure how well it works just that I've seen it done. I know you don't need ducts for air conditioning from what I've seen.

Everything I've read says getting the right size is key. It's not like a fuel furnace where too big is ok.

Maybe I will go with the floor heat. Just seems like an extra expense if you are going to do AC too. Maybe with a 70% open floor plan you don't need ducts. Maybe you could put vents or a fan in. My wife LOVES the idea of heat in the floors, but also wants AC. And if you are doing a heat pump, AC is basically included?

@Tjf1967 how do you do heat pump with floor heat? Our NJ house is Heat Pump with ducts, and it's pretty cheap to run. My insulation isn't killer either.

One thing about planning in advance... I got a different and IMO better garage design by listening to input here.

Probably time to break this out again.

I think we want AC too so it's going to likely be ducts. But not too many.

Definitely having a woodstove. Two actually. The one in cabin, and one in the basement. Seems like a prudent way to backup when all else fails.

There are multi zone minisplit units that can be mixed and matched , wall units with mini duct . A mini airhandler that can be installed vertically in a closet or hung on a rough ceiling and ductwork run short distances.
A little efficiency is lost by the energy it takes to force the air through the ducts. Multi zones are nice if you’ve got areas that aren’t in use 100%

Heat pumps recycle global warming. They literally take energy from the outside air. Weird concept but true.

I have Radiant floor heat and love it but it does have seasonal issues. Sometimes it lags outside temperature changes and if in concrete can have even larger indoor temperature swings.

Whatever you end up with make absolutely sure you have backup heat because supply chain issues might make your system useless for an extended time!

@Tjf1967 how do you do heat pump with floor heat? Our NJ house is Heat Pump with ducts, and it's pretty cheap to run. My insulation isn't killer either.

One thing about planning in advance... I got a different and IMO better garage design by listening to input here.

Probably time to break this out again.

Butting in on the floor heat with heat pump question.
Hydron Module makes a Geo Thermal ducted unit that does heat hot water for Radiant floor heat. I installed one 9yrs ago.

I have Radiant floor heat and love it but it does have seasonal issues. Sometimes it lags outside temperature changes and if in concrete can have even larger indoor temperature swings.

I want to hear more about this, please.

Whatever you end up with make absolutely sure you have backup heat because supply chain issues might make your system useless for an extended time!

Backup is non-negotiable. Both propane and wood.

Back