How Much Ground Clearance Do You Need?

Whatever
Someone new comes in here and says I'm offended by the word tranny in a ground clearance discussion? Said person needs to, like I suggested, have just a wee bit more thicker skin here or should move on to another site imo. Good grief.
Last time you threatened someone when you didn’t like what they said. That’s your M.O. you’re thin skinned. Like I said before, why don’t you take a break from this forum.

W... T....F....?

sorry carry on

It's got to be some kind of first in forum history, locking a thread about ground clearance.

:rolleyes:

OP here - Didn't even know this thread was still going.

I bought a Golf Alltrack two and a half years ago and love it, it's a fantastic ski car. I switch out the stock 18s for 16 inch EuroWinters every season, and the 7 inches of ground clearance has never been an issue. I've been surprised how well it does in foot+ deep snow. The roof height is about 6 or 7 inches lower than the current-gen Outback which for a shorter guy like me has been key. It's also super comfortable with 4-way lumbar support, and ACC which makes long highway trips so much easier.

It's not huge though, if I have a second kid we may need to buy a bigger car at some point. But that's years off and TBD if it replaces the Alltrack or it just becomes the second the car.

Also FWIW I find the Outback to be a bit wobbly and top heavy with it's 9 inches of GC. Yes it's better in deeper snow, but a car lower to the ground is better slick conditions.

My Outback never felt wobbly or top heavy. Only vehicle I've had with sufficient ground clearance for the Diamond Notch trail head in the Catskills.

On the T word, since the 70s I only ever construed it as short for transmission.

I commute every day to the city in one..and have to go at warp speeds to not get hit by the loonies..and it handles pretty well. Even with snow tires.

It's all relative. After driving around a Nissan Armada in Jackson Hole for a week my Alltrack felt like a Miata.
If you're coming from a Miata I'm sure my Alltrack feels like the Armada.

Back