How Many Ski Areas Have You Skied?

That's funny you use the term "life changing"--- My first western ski trip at age 55 was in 2017 and skied 3 days at Pow Mow and 2 at Park City and Snow Basin.... I'd agree Pow Mow is life changing, probably because it was my first but also the openness, no crowds, vast acreage and whole casual vibe there. My second western trip in 2018 was to Targhee and Jackson. The first two days were spent at Targhee where it dumped massive amounts of light fluffy pow before our arrival and during our first 2 ski days. Targhee was also was a life changing experience. Also a less commercial and less touristy place.

I see you skied Crested. How did you like that? It's very high on my list now. I tend to like the less commercial, less touristy type places which I think Pow Mow and Targhee fit that description. Would be interested in other destinations that are less commercial and touristy.

Thanks
Crested Butte is one of the best ski towns in the country imho. It’s a classic. During the early to mid 90’s it was an “it” spot for the growing free skiing scene of that time. It was home for Seth Morrison as his career developed, a site for the original extremes ski competitions and where MSP was founded. It was always a funky, off the beaten path sort of place with a legendary crew of hard skiing locals.

The mountain ain’t very good if you want cruisers or mid angled terrain. It’s mostly either ridiculously steep and bony or pretty darn flat but the technical steeps are probably the best lift served ones in Colorado.

You should go there.

1995 CB Extreme Comp

Last edited:
Actually I think it is set for a year. I thought that would be enough.
Yeah, it probably should be. I missed a couple back country spots on my list but it doesn’t matter.

Here’s one more for ya Andy. Watching this just now makes me really want to get back there.

Last edited:
Yeah, it probably should be. I missed a couple back country spots on my list but it doesn’t matter.
Send me the days in conversation and I will add them.

Thanks for linking to that Crested Butte clip from Powder Mag. Nice piece!

The mountain ain’t very good if you want cruisers or mid angled terrain. It’s mostly either ridiculously steep and bony or pretty darn flat
I had a decent mid-angled experience during a huge storm cycle in January 2017.

Here's when I ran into and skied with one of CB's founders in March 2008.

Last edited:
im at 94 and want to make Hickory 100.
IMG_20191231_161109.jpg

Total of 52 (under 56 names) and 2 XC

15 in Pa:

Spring Mt
Split Rock
Jack Frost
Big Boulder
Alpine
Shawnee
Montage/Sno Mountain