Gore Mountain Conditions

Agree with what others are saying here that it was oddly uncrowded for ‘sold out’ sat of holiday weekend. Never a line at TR, HP, or BR. Just the usual 1030 logjam at Straightbrook but not at the others. Having Uncas and Twister closed was strange (Uncas opened mid-day) - like they turned on the guns but then couldn’t groom so had to close them. Closed Twister, Wild Air, Arena made for weird base area although as said below lodge was jammed.

Once I found out BR had opened again I skipped lunch (cafeteria line in main lodge was longest I had ever seen at 1250) and just finished day at BR and Bowl.

I thought whole mountain was in very good shape - skied it all except Rumor, Tahawus, Sleeping Bear, and no Sunway/Quiksilver today. ROTD was tough call: Topridge, Lies, Sagamore, 46er all v. Good.

Hope the BR chair stops being an issue - tough to get stuck at Bowl.

Gore almost always closes trails with active snowmaking. Can't remember the last time I skied under the guns there.

Gore almost always closes trails with active snowmaking. Can't remember the last time I skied under the guns there.
This wasn't always true, but it is now.

The light snow that fell last night made for a great morning.

A little more overnight last night too.

Still don't understand Gore snow reporting.

3 inches Friday AM? (I saw 6)

Now they are showing 5.5 last seven days? So it snowed 2.5 yesterday? (I saw 1).

A little more overnight last night too.
Still don't understand Gore snow reporting.
3 inches Friday AM? (I saw 6)
Now they are showing 5.5 last seven days? So it snowed 2.5 yesterday? (I saw 1).
Today’s conditions report: "We got just under 6” on Friday & Saturday”...
Not a peep about snowmaking and it’s been cold.

Belle’s report says. "Speaking of another round, our snowmakers are still going strong,... It’s going to be an extremely productive night for them, with low temps going all the way down into the teens, cranking out that “east coast man-made pow”.

Maybe Gore’s ❄️ crew needed a well deserved rest after all they’ve accomplished.
Lift tickets were "sold out" (I ran into multiple people who bought tickets at the window this morning). Wonder if they capped them at a low number? I'm not complaining!
Also regarding lift tickets for Gore, "Tickets will not be sold on the day of the mountain."
Maybe ya just need the secret handshake and/or not to believe what’s been written.

Should be another good ski day. Stay safe have fun.

Last edited:
Maybe Gore’s ❄️ crew needed a well deserved rest after all they’ve accomplished.
No doubt snowmaking is the most difficult job on the mountain and surfaces have been very good this year, but Rumor only opened on February 16, after only 5 days of snowmaking. Why couldn't it have opened weeks ago when Lies opened? For that matter, why couldn't Lies have opened earlier? Belleayre has been 100% for weeks. What is the limitation at Gore?

OTOH we have a new Hole Shot course, and we're gonna get a new $30 Million zip liner and high speed quad at the Ski Bowl, which is usually open for skiing 3 or 4 weeks a year.

mm

This is some of the best groomer skiing I've done in a long time. Burnt is off the hook.

Today’s conditions report: "We got just under 6” on Friday & Saturday”...
Not a peep about snowmaking and it’s been cold.

Belle’s report says. "Speaking of another round, our snowmakers are still going strong,... It’s going to be an extremely productive night for them, with low temps going all the way down into the teens, cranking out that “east coast man-made pow”.

Also regarding lift tickets for Gore, "Tickets will not be sold on the day of the mountain."
Maybe ya just need the secret handshake and/or not to believe what’s been written.

Should be another good ski day. Stay safe have fun.
I was ready to go to Gore today until I saw their Sold Out message. Instead I’m getting in day 3 at Big Mac today

Yesterday guns weren’t active on Uncas or Twister as far as I saw - just big piles under each gun that hadn’t been touched, so the runs were closed. When they opened Uncas there was room to get around the piles on the upper section and on both lower sections the new snow had spread out pretty evenly as opposed to whalebacks.

Just wierd to have those two runs closed on holiday weekend, but great grooming on Moxham for instance. Not complaining - I’m not skiing today but looks like they are open.

Another good one today. Maybe even better than yesterday? Wasn't crowded again either and didn't appear many folks even parked on the access road. Really surprised it wasn't busier but definitely not complaining!

Started the day at the bell at 8:20 on AE2 and had an awesome run down showcase with packed powder carving perfection. Went up for another lap to get stuck on it for 20 minutes. After getting off didn't trust giving it another shot so went up to the summit. Lies was up next and was great. Repeat but second go was starting to get skiied off already. Moved over to Hawkeye and Chati which were both great. Rumor next which was still skiing well. Then Topridge which was also great and did a couple laps. Fairview to Quicksilver next which was good and surprisingly not skiied off even at 11:30 before heading to BR.

Sagamore was excellent and only the last pitch had any real ice and only in the center. Lapped that a few times before an Echo was in order which also skiied nice. Did a few lower mountain laps on Showcase, Quicksilver, then Tahawus before heading back up top. All were surprisingly good for 1ish on Presidents Day weekend and we're not skiied off. Finished the day with an open pit to Lower Darby and Upper Steilhang to Hullabaloo which were all good before one more rumor, a Topridge, and Foxlair to the base around 3:15.

Was going to head home today but decided to stay another day and ski tomorrow given the uncertainty on the weather coming up and potential for immature snow later this week. Also only hope for tomorrow at home was to take my bird up but looking iffy to do so. Trying to bank the good days while we have them!

Yesterday guns weren’t active on Uncas or Twister as far as I saw - just big piles under each gun that hadn’t been touched, so the runs were closed. When they opened Uncas there was room to get around the piles on the upper section and on both lower sections the new snow had spread out pretty evenly as opposed to whalebacks.

Just wierd to have those two runs closed on holiday weekend, but great grooming on Moxham for instance. Not complaining - I’m not skiing today but looks like they are open.
It was weird Twister and Uncas weren't groomed and Twister was closed. Uncas was open for a while today but it was very bad. Boilerplate mixed with death cookies. The wind also blew the snow off it. I don't think it was open for long before they closed it.

Back