Gore Mountain Conditions

Come on now, do you really think you could just buy some seedlings and drop them in? Did Gore get moved out of the AdPark last night when I was sleeping?
You have never heard of the concept of reforestation? It involves seedlings by the thousands planted by hand or by machine. The state actually grows millions of seedlings every year.
I’ll bet that other state agencies get them for a pretty good price - or free.
Right. Snowmaking is such an exact science and totally unaffected by weather. Certainly they will be able to shorten the snowmaking throw exactly to the new width in order not to kill off the seedlings yet cover the existing trails
Apparently you haven’t observed how snowmaking happens. Big piles of snow are blown under the guns. Then the groomers push the snow around to create a base of uniform depth where they want to. They can be pretty accurate at where that snow gets pushed to. Next time you’re on the AEII, look to the left side. It’s a pretty nice edge about 20-50 feet from the woods.
Skiers and boarders will not be able to tell that the seedlings are under 50 inches of base and will ski all over those areas. Maybe these seedlings would need new semi-permanent fencing on the trail side and the woods side. That certainly would get quick APA/DEP approval, should be free and easy to install and not need many man hours.:ROFLMAO: However, those fences might create a safety and liability problem for skiers and borders.
I’ve seen the most reforestation areas at Mad River Glen. Areas for replanting or regeneration of the native species are cordoned off with poles and tape. Skiers stay out of them. Would it require thousands of feet in some cases? Yup. But if Gore can rope off snowmobile lanes on the sides of trails, they can rope off other areas, too.
FYI - The Gore snowmaking water comes out of the Hudson and then melts back into the Hudson. In light of the many mid-season rain storms over the past few season, I don't think worrying about water usage at Gore is a top priority.
True. But the limiting factor for snowmaking at Gore is the capacity of their pumps and compressors to move water and air around the mountain. Using that water and air more efficiently during the limited time that snowmaking temperatures are happening lately by limiting the width of the trail will result in more miles of trail covered earlier in the season, as we saw this year.

Last edited:
It’s not that a trail has to be wide to have snowmaking on it. When the wind shifts or the guns are set in the wrong place, the trees along the side of the trail get blasted, lose branches and eventually die. So over time, trails with lots of snowmaking on them naturally become wider.
Next time you ski down Sleeping Bear, take a look at skier’s right on the top part. Half of each whale got blown into the woods, then cut off by the groomers. Narrow trail or poorly aimed guns?

Come on now, do you really think you could just buy some seedlings and drop them in? Did Gore get moved out of the AdPark last night when I was sleeping?
Taint that hard to grow trees in The UpState.
There’s more volunteer trees around than what folks would ever plant.
I like to ski the edges of trails if the middle gets pushed off.
Orange fences like on Echo would work and be safer for folks.

Looks like no gondola for MLK weekend, this is going to be nuts
Not sure that that is true , I sent a private message on instagram to Gore about this and the response back was “very soon” but not a definitive day. I was impressed that they responded even though the answer was cautious.

Back