Fish Tales

The cape has problems too.
Fortunately when my son and I fished White/Blue/Black pond in Chatham on Tuesday morning we didn’t see any signs of that.

I thought all those fish at the surface today might be gulping air, which fish will do when oxygen levels in the water drop. I don’t know how long they can survive doing that….

I think depleted O2 levels are one of the results of an algae bloom. Jam your arm into a cloudy patch of water, If you break out in a painful bright red rash it’s probably a toxic bloom.
Report back
Edit: Lake Welch is closed right now due to toxic algae. People that keep up with the front page would know that.

Last edited:
I thought all those fish at the surface today might be gulping air, which fish will do when oxygen levels in the water drop. I don’t know how long they can survive doing that….
The main reason the fish do so good in my pond is because of my aerator. It was costly, but well worth it imo.

Jam your arm into a cloudy patch of water, If you break out in a painful bright red rash it’s probably a toxic bloom.
No thanks.

Very strange, and I’m assuming very sad, situation at the local fishin’ ponds here in the Hudson Valley (Beacon/Wappingers at least).

One pond that was very productive for good sized large mouth bass just a few weeks ago has seemingly transformed. It’s easily two feet lower than it was just a few weeks ago, it’s got a film and gasses bubbling up, and it stinks. My son fished at sunrise for two hours and got one nibble. No floaters, so I’m hoping the bass aren’t dying off. Who knows, maybe they go dormant when drought hits, like grass. Wishful thinking!

So, we moved over to the Girl Scout pond (as we like to call it). Normally active with bass, panfish, and crappie. Like the other, this pond is a good foot and a half low. Algae taking over in spots, with no new water feeding in or going over the spillway, and it, too, smells. There is fish life/activity, but this is where it gets weird. For starters there are schools of tiny minnows, tons of them (someone had eggs that hatched), rippling all around the pond when the schools take off, assuming being chased. Every once in awhile you’ll see a fish eat a minnow near the surface. Here’s where it really gets weird. In what is usually the deep end of the pond there are hundreds (or more) of fish (bass, crappie, blue gill) just sitting there, mouths near the surface, not moving, not eating. They aren’t belly up floaters, but it doesn’t seem like a healthy situation. I speculated (and a little searching confirmed) that they are gulping air at the surface because the oxygen level in the pond is low. The optimist in me wanted to think they are just lethargic from all the minnows they are feasting on, but the realist in me fears they are dying off. My son side snagged a couple fish, it was hard not to.

Hoping some rain, if we ever get some, can turn the situation around. I’m sure fish have faced severe drought in the past and survived. I swung by the Fishkill Creek at Sarah Taylor Park a week or so ago and that was way low, too. We may hit up a local reservoir, but most of our fishing the next few weeks will likely be on Cape Cod, where things seem a little healthier.
Yeah, the creek is crazy low. I stopped going down a few weeks ago. There is tons of wildlife hunkered down there so I’ve been keeping away. They don’t need the added stress with me poking around. I could hear lots of critters down there last night with the full moon. At this point we need some hurricane action. Getting it all at once isn’t good either but we need something, anything.

The only place I’d fish around here right now is maybe Sylvan Lake where it’s over 100 feet deep.

My son’s friend and his father fished at Fahnestock today, caught some bass and pickerel. My son and I may hit up Melzingah Reservoir. Fishkill Creek (where it empties into the Hudson) at Madam Brett park was decent ten days ago, and with the tide has good water.

The only place I’d fish around here right now is maybe Sylvan Lake where it’s over 100 feet deep.
Sylvan Lake was a bust tonight. Fished from the kayaks for two hours (6:30-8:30)……and not even a single nibble. Not on soft plastics in the weed beds, nor on power baits deep.

Sylvan Lake was a bust tonight. Fished from the kayaks for two hours (6:30-8:30)……and not even a single nibble. Not on soft plastics in the weed beds, nor on power baits deep.
Wow, that’s surprising. A couple guys I know have been pulling hogs out of Lake Walton. It has lots of weeds but apparently it’s spring fed so I guess it stays cooler. Talked to a buddy who ran passed Melzingah today and he said it was a mud pit with algae.

Last edited:
Back