F Vail

The key to a successful season at Hunter is to make snow at every opportunity. Which seemed to be the previous owners' m.o. (both Slutzkys and Peak). I noticed several times both early in the season and late-February where the weather was prime for snowmaking but the guns weren't on. Seemed like a very Rockies/West Coast vibe to think what they were doing was sufficient.

The only thing good about the North Expansion is the parking.
Agree about the parking especially coming in from the west.

Downside allowed them to not run the west quad midweek.

Vail bought some real estate on Main Street in Hunter. (2.5m?)

Maybe they’ll move Headquarters there.

"Vail did not immediately respond to a request for comment about staying at its location."

Unfortunately, I think the North expansion was a total flop. It was meant to expand intermediate terrain, but two of the 3 main trails needed to be rerated to black after one year. It doesn't seem to get nearly the snowmaking priority that the front side gets, and they never staff the ticket window over there anymore, even on weekends. I'm not sure it brought in the additional skier visits as intended, or even pulled lines away from the main 6 pack. While I still like the terrain, this is my analysis of it. Unfortunately, it's hard to make any expansion profitable without a real estate component to it.
I’m surprised ski areas still have manned windows for day passes. You’d think that would be all electronic with ATM like machines at the base.

I’m surprised ski areas still have manned windows for day passes. You’d think that would be all electronic with ATM like machines at the base.
There are plenty of machines around for lift tickets. However, there are also plenty of people . . . not just seniors . . . who can't figure out how to use a machine or simply want to talk with (argue with?) a person.

The pandemic pushed the timeline for moving to digital approaches for lift tickets for many small to medium resorts, including those owned by VR. When VR bought Peak, the small hills in the midwest and mid-Atlantic weren't all keeping up with technology.

like making snow and being open so folks could ski.
That has nothing to do with how people buy or pick up lift tickets in person.

The small resorts VR bought in the midwest separately or from the Peak Resorts purchase mostly were doing fine in the snowmaking department. Most wouldn't have still been in business without decent snowmaking. What had fallen behind were the chairlifts. Also, I don't think any of them had RFID or were even thinking of the advantages of making the investment. In contrast to independent mountains like Jiminy Peak or Wachusetts that installed RFID relatively early for New England.

Back