Ebike or not?

On a related or unrelated note, I just had my warranty replacement frame come in for my EMTB, been working on the hardware, motor and battery swap and man is it a chore. Pulling the Shimano EP8 unit out of the damaged frame was very straight forward, putting it all back together on the other hand...

On a related or unrelated note, I just had my warranty replacement frame come in for my EMTB, been working on the hardware, motor and battery swap and man is it a chore. Pulling the Shimano EP8 unit out of the damaged frame was very straight forward, putting it all back together on the other hand...
Install is not part of the warranty?

Install is not part of the warranty?
In my particular case I cracked the top tube on the front triangle, the warranty is through the frame manufacturer who sources motors and batteries through Shimano. The battery and motor make up a significant portion of the overall cost of any ebike and is not an integrated component. The motor and battery are completely functional otherwise and it would be wasteful and costly to provide an entire frame replacement with new battery and motor. Maybe not the best comparison but when Toyota had a frame recall they weren't replacing the entirety of the vehicle, mind you in my case this is a warranty and not a recall. It is definitely a factor in cost of ownership for any prospective ebike buyer. Generally if the motor has issues and warrants a recall a legitimate manufacturer will credit at least some of the labor costs associated with the fix. In this case my bike tipped over and struck a rock making it a no fault replacement which is honestly generous. This is a lot of text to say I'm looking at at least 6 man hours likely more to make this swap and I am a former professional bike mechanic, that wouldn't be cheap if I needed to bring it to a shop.

Is it carbon?

Back