Dutchess and Mt. Beacon trails 2/22/21

Thanks to Scenic Hudson the views of Mt. Beacon and Fishkill Ridge have been largely preserved. There was a large battle for the South East end of the Ridge that was threatened by expansion of the quarry. Ultimately it was the Eastern Timber Rattlesnake that stopped it from happening. The area has known dens and destruction of their habitat was halted by the decision of a federal judge because of their conservation status in NY.
That area also has a ghost that hardly anyone knows about. Snow Valley Campground had a small ski slope. I was previously friendly with a daughter of the owner and remember seeing it. I didn’t get to roam around too much but I remember a lodge and some sort of lift too. The slopes at the time were largely overgrown but recognizable. The quarry has purchased the land and it is now closed and posted. I hope to get permission to visit and photograph what’s left behind before it all vanishes. If anyone has information about this forgotten gem I’d like to hear about it and get it posted. I’m sure NELSAP would be interested too.

Back