Dutchess and Mt. Beacon trails 2/22/21

Ripitz

The forecast called for snow turning to the four lettered “r” word. Every skiers nightmare. Nervous the snowpack would turn to shit, I pulled the trigger on the ghost down the road.

I’ve had a long history of adventure on Mt. Beacon. Swimming in the reservoir as a young boy with my sisters, all the way to a marriage proposal to my beautiful wife. I first skied Dutchess 30 years ago. After boot packing up and watching the sunset, two high school buddies and I plunged into the dark on a spark flying descent that I’ll never forget.

I decided to make this visit special too, human powered all the way. So I set out for the 7 mile ride at zero dark 30 to see what’s good...
CA9FA7C5-D9CC-4D2B-9BBE-1F13B2E7F803.jpeg

I knew there would be tracks and it made me happy to see them. The lifts closed years ago but the mountain never did.
0A4C9659-A5EB-4A4F-9A99-73DC6278405B.jpeg

If history and shwacky trees are your jam then this is the place. No groomers or safety nets but it did have a mogul run.
6FC46D07-E448-4E47-986A-061A1E5ED05B.jpeg

This guy never made it
B25907AD-A051-4F04-A43F-4C42C45D9BED.jpeg

But I did, after joining up with the hipster highway
6E804917-E7AA-4F68-B829-561EB93A65FA.jpeg

C7F286CD-F553-45B7-9985-C74786E01F5A.jpeg

Turned my sights towards the fire tower
FCCC94E0-84D7-429E-8F58-197E1CE67A3B.jpeg

and booked it BC/XCD and XYZ up to the top with no one around
46FCEB51-6EED-4495-AB40-20A58BC162CC.jpeg

65DAF630-0B8C-4C38-A5BB-9350C45185AE.jpeg

The top was blowing hard as the storm rolled in. Stale, blown pow was found in hidden pockets up top. Nice 2.5 mile descent required all the senses. Protected North facing slopes made the day.
44637B2A-4D76-46BD-99AB-FBA914941FAE.jpeg

Safely down, I transitioned back to bike and rode back in the snowstorm... that never turned to rain?

Last edited:
I think we may need a Hudson River backcountry thread... You've peaked my interest to try more skiing and riding adjacent to the river. Also are you using a folding bike as a approach vehicle!?

Shit, if I knew you were going I’d have asked if you wanted company! I’m over by the Stadium. I’ve got a buddy who wanted to get out on Mt. Beacon earlier this winter (before the 2’ storm) but there wasn’t enough base. I should’ve called him when I got back from Utah after the storm.

Anywho....you’ve provided inspiration for me to give it a go if we get another storm.

The forecast called for snow turning to the four lettered “r” word. Every skiers nightmare. Nervous the snowpack would turn to shit, I pulled the trigger on the ghost down the road.

I’ve had a long history of adventure on Mt. Beacon. Swimming in the reservoir as a young boy with my sisters, all the way to a marriage proposal to my beautiful wife. I first skied Dutchess 30 years ago. After boot packing up and watching the sunset, two high school buddies and I plunged into the dark on a spark flying descent that I’ll never forget.

I decided to make this visit special too, human powered all the way. So I set out for the 7 mile ride at zero dark 30 to see what’s good...
View attachment 8276
I knew there would be tracks and it made me happy to see them. The lifts closed years ago but the mountain never did.
View attachment 8277
If history and shwacky trees are your jam then this is the place. No groomers or safety nets but it did have a mogul run.View attachment 8278
This guy never made it
View attachment 8279
But I did, after joining up with the hipster highway
View attachment 8281
View attachment 8282
Turned my sights towards the fire tower
View attachment 8283
and booked it BC/XCD and XYZ up to the top with no one around
View attachment 8285
View attachment 8287
The top was blowing hard as the storm rolled in. Stale, blown pow was found in hidden pockets up top. Nice 2.5 mile descent required all the senses. Protected North facing slopes made the day.
View attachment 8292
Safely down, I transitioned back to bike and rode back in the snowstorm... that never turned to rain?

Great photos and adventure. Thanks for posting!

I think we may need a Hudson River backcountry thread
I agree, but I think it would be short lived. In most recent years you could barely XC ski in Fahnstock. Hit or miss seasons, however, are also what makes these ephemeral missions more special.
You've peaked my interest to try more skiing and riding adjacent to the river.
Beautiful area to ski especially overlooking the fjord of the Highlands. One of the most scenic places in the country IMO. Too bad the hipsters and everyone else in the city are stomping all the trails into the bedrock. Glad they are getting some fresh air but holy shit! Don’t wait for or expect any of the big lines to come in. Even when they do they are marginal at best. It’s more about enjoying the day and the views with skis on your feet. In my experience the best skiing is on ground that, when there is no snow, is covered with leaves not rocks.
Also are you using a folding bike as a approach vehicle!?
Good eyes! It is a full sized folder. I traded my electric bike for it. Last Winter, I rode 72 miles back from Pine Hill with the electric to see how far it would go. It was an awesome ride with a lot of it on rail trails. It died at 64 miles and was heavy to ride but manageable the rest of the way home. I hope to use the folder for extended skiing and ISUP missions. My plan before COVID was to use Metro North and Amtrak Adirondack (which doesn’t allow full bikes) to get me into the zones. It definitely adds to the adventure!

Shit, if I knew you were going I’d have asked if you wanted company! I’m over by the Stadium. I’ve got a buddy who wanted to get out on Mt. Beacon earlier this winter (before the 2’ storm) but there wasn’t enough base. I should’ve called him when I got back from Utah after the storm.

Anywho....you’ve provided inspiration for me to give it a go if we get another storm.
Dude, what are you waiting for? I could see your place from up there!

Back