Burke Mountain: 02/04/2022

Telesnowmonkey

After being let-down by the nor'easter that dumped a bunch of snow on the coast a couple weeks ago, northern VT finally got some redemption this past Friday. I was trying not to get my hopes up too much for Friday just in case the storm didn't deliver, but when I woke up Friday morning, there were a good 10+" of snow on top of my car! My organization is still pretty much working from home, and I immediately sent my boss an IM that went something to the effect of, "Um... so there's a lot of snow out there. Mind if I sign off after our meetings end at noon?" And I got a "Yeah, sure, go ahead!" back. Hooray! I kept an eye on web cams for Burke and Mad River Glen all morning to see where I'd be better off going. MRG was packed, but I didn't see any lift lines at Burke, so after grabbing some lunch and taking the dogs for a walk, I headed over. I was on the slopes by 1:45pm and managed to get 5 runs in before the lifts stopped spinning at 4pm. It was still snowing at a pretty good clip when I got there, and it started snowing a little heavier around 3pm. By then, there weren't many skiers left on the mountain, and tracks were actually starting to fill back in again. I took a warm up run down Carriage rd to Powderhorn to Dipper Doodle. The snow was perfect! It was fluffy but had nice body to it, and it was exactly what Burke needed to get open to 100%. It was definitely work getting through it, but it felt like one of those days that you could go anywhere and do anything.

For my second run, I decided to go down East Bowl, which has become one of my most favorite trails. It reminds me of a meandering waterfall, with a series of short, steep drops over boulders before a long flat run-out at the end (which kinda sucks, but it's worth it), and it provides some really amazing views. Here's looking down the trail:
PXL_20220204_193243015.jpg

And here's looking back up from where I was stopped:
PXL_20220204_193254163.jpg

I did a few more runs, though I don't exactly recall which trails. It was starting to snow harder and get a little foggier. I believe these two photos are from Upper/Big Dipper, looking down:
PXL_20220204_200351570.jpg

looking up:
PXL_20220204_200407502.jpg

On my fourth run, I decided to head over to the race slope on Lower Warren's way, hoping for some smoother turns and less chop. I don't know what led me to believe there'd be less chop there, but it seemed like it was even choppier than everything else I'd skied up to that point. Bumps, bumps, and more bumps! Maybe I was just getting tired. By the time I finished that run, my legs were definitely feeling it.

The fog, snow, and waning daylight were making it difficult to see on my last trip up the chairlift:
PXL_20220204_203802925.jpg

I took a pretty relaxed run down Deer Run for my last run of the day. By the time I finished, it was 4:05 and they weren't loading the lift anymore. That's okay, I was really happy with my five runs, and I had a grin on my face for the next 4 or 5 hours thinking about how amazing the conditions had been. My husband and I went back for more on Saturday and had a great time. No pics as is was too cold for me to think about taking my hands out of my gloves!

Nice report. Burke is really nice and uncrowded. East Bowl is a blast in the right conditions. Always try to keep my speed up at the bottom for the run-out. Sometimes that run-out can have some whoop tee dos if you hit it too fast. It's usually worth the slog out though. Can't understand why they put Jay on the Indy Pass and not Burke. They could use the extra traffic there.

Nice report. Burke is really nice and uncrowded. East Bowl is a blast in the right conditions. Always try to keep my speed up at the bottom for the run-out. Sometimes that run-out can have some whoop tee dos if you hit it too fast. It's usually worth the slog out though. Can't understand why they put Jay on the Indy Pass and not Burke. They could use the extra traffic there.
They really could. I mean, as a pass holder I love that I almost never run into lift lines at Burke, but I worry about the future of the resort when it seems like no one is there. It was busier on Saturday, but I still don't think we waited longer than 5 or maaaybe 10 minutes, and that was for just one lift ride right after lunch-time. They did run out of parking up at the mid-Burke lodge, and we ended up parking on the second level at the lower lodge since we didn't get there 'til about 10am, so that was a good sign for business.

I said pretty much the same thing about East Bowl after my first time to Burke in 2005 -- "what might be my favorite blue square east of the Rockies."
Nice write up! I also don't understand the lack of "away" skiers. I don't know if they just don't advertise as much as other resorts? Maybe East Burke just doesn't offer enough amenities to attract city-dwellers? There are only a few restaurants in town, and the only other sort of recreation is fat-biking or xc skiing. There isn't much for non-skiers to do in the area and not much "apres ski" to offer.

From what I've seen Burke looks great. For many there are several great mountains that are closer.

Terrain, snowfall and location are kind of the big three, for many.

Burke has a lot going for it but seems to fall in an odd spot for all their major markets. Boston, Montreal and NY skiers are all going to pass at least two other resorts with better more expansive terrain before getting there. That and the brutal cold are enough to keep the crowds away. Not sure what the enrollment looks like these days but I imagine Burke Mountain School has to be a fairly substantial force keeping the lifts spinning. I've been once in the wintertime when staying at my friends family dairy farm near Barton and many many times in the summer for mountain biking KTA and Burke Bike Park. One thing I will say is the final stretch of 91 from White River to Lyndon is wide open to cruise, I've hit some speeds on that stretch of highway and what time you can make up there will even it out with the mountain road traffic to Stowe.

I've always wanted to check out Burke but it's hard to justify driving anywhere else but Jay when considering that area of VT. Trails look awesome (especially with good snow in the pics). What's the side/slack/backcountry looking like here?

What's the side/slack/backcountry looking like here?
The inbound glades and tree skiing are enough to keep you busy, Burke is a bit of a weird topography (resembles a bit of a cone) so if you drop off the backside into Darling State Park you're setting yourself out for a long skin out. The trees off the East Bowl Trail are extensive, if you drop into the opposite side of the mountain you get flushed out into the lower mountain MTB trails but its best to stay out of the woods below mid mountain as its all low angle runout. The upper mountain MTB trails are INSANE.

If you're in that neck of the woods ever its worth checking out the backcountry zone in Willoughby State Forest that is part of the Catamount Trail Association. It's pretty cool that in a state where the economy is so dependent on ski tourism that there is also such an extensive offering of non-commercial skiing and riding.
willoughbyStateForest_Map-2048x1219.jpeg

Back