Building a House with Wood

I have to start picking lights for the interior of the house.

I need a design, can't just leave this to chance.

Can anyone make recommendations? I'd like to talk to an expert.

I built the deck (uncovered)on my home about 20 years ago. I used actual 2x6’s as the decking instead of the standard 1” decking. I use a solid color stain on it every other year. 3 years ago I actually sanded the entire deck surface down back to bear wood as there were areas where the stain wasn’t holding anymore. As I contractor I can say that I have replaced a lot of 1” pressure treated decking that was 10 years or less in age, but never had any maintenance done to it.

The PVC coated decking cleans up great. I do on average 8 to 10 jobs a year with it, even some handicap ramps as well, and I’ve never heard any complaints back as to it being slippery. Also, I highly recommend using a hidden fasteners system vs face screwing it - much better finished product.
My deck is 2x6 as well. I use a clear/natural stain on it every 3 years.

I have composite deck furniture, definitely expensive, but we'll worth it imo. My dad has had it for at least 10 years with no issues.

Is your designer able to help? Not sure if your referring to decorative fixtures or can/high hat layout, kitchen etc....

things I'm glad I did: all living spaces have dimmers, switched outlets above the kitchen upper cabinets - cheap christmas light strings make effective uplights and chochkie lighting (wife's idea), ceiling fans everywhere, closet lights, ceiling speakers

things I would do: more kitchen lighting cans/high hats, floor outlet(s) in living room - couch/chairs are in center of room not against wall (although I probably would have gotten the layout wrong anyway)

I think I am getting help. Not sure how I am paying for it though.

Other things:

Every switch is a dimmer
Ambient lighting in from downward pointing LED "can type" in the great room. Other rooms too.
Floor outlets good idea!

There's a chance I may have to use 100% spray foam insulation based on something called a flow test or blow test.

I know @sig said he wished he'd done 100% foam. I was thinking fiberglass or woolrock for the walls to get some breathability.

Any opinions on 100% foam, or a mix?

@Sbob @Joneski73

There's a chance I may have to use 100% spray foam insulation

based on something called a flow test or blow test.
P
I know @sig said he wished he'd done 100% foam. I was thinking fiberglass or woolrock for the walls to get some breathability.

Any opinions on 100% foam, or a mix?

@Sbob @Joneski73

Lights aren’t my thing. I f’d up recently. I have a couple old track style lights in my living room and loft. They were a pain to change when they burned out. I replaced them with Leds then they started burning out. I bought some self contained “for a lack of words “ Led track lights that fit in the old track. Now my bedroom track Leds flicker when the loft or living room lights are on.

I have mixed feelings about foam, great insulation properties but now you’ve made your home basically airtight. So the solution is to add a energy recovery ventilation to bring fresh air in?
One more thing to maintain and use power.

I have mixed feelings about foam, great insulation properties but now you’ve made your home basically airtight. So the solution is to add a energy recovery ventilation to bring fresh air in?
One more thing to maintain and use power.
I'm not even mixed. I want some breathability. I may not have a choice.

Is your designer able to help?
Not sure if your referring to decorative fixtures or can/high hat layout, kitchen etc....

things I'm glad I did: all living spaces have dimmers, switched outlets above the kitchen upper cabinets - cheap christmas light strings make effective uplights and chochkie lighting (wife's idea), ceiling fans everywhere, closet lights, ceiling speakers

things I would do: more kitchen lighting cans/high hats, floor outlet(s) in living room - couch/chairs are in center of room not against wall (although I probably would have gotten the layout wrong anyway)
I think I am getting help. Not sure how I am paying for it though.

Other things:

Every switch is a dimmer
Ambient lighting in from downward pointing LED "can type" in the great room. Other rooms too.
Floor outlets good idea!

Are can lights a thing anymore? I’ve seen some pretty cool disc type Led lights that are pretty thin. They also have a switch that you can change light spectrums .

I know older can lights had a thermal overload that would trip if they had too much insulation around.

Back