Bobcat, NY: 02/26/05

jamesdeluxe

My third visit to Bobcat in February 2005. A near perfect day with deep blue skies and chalky 100% natural snow:

bobcat 17.jpg

bobcat 14.jpg

bobcat 15.jpg

bobcat 18.jpg

bobcat 19.jpg

Skiing through the mid-mountain glade:
bobcat 20.jpg

bobcat 21.jpg

bobcat 22.jpg

bobcat 23.jpg

bobcat 24.jpg

Midday break at the lodge:
bobcat 25.jpg

bobcat  27.jpg

bobcat 16.jpg

bobcat 26.jpg

bobcat 28.jpg

bobcat 31.jpg

bobcat  29.jpg

bobcat  30.jpg

bobcat  33.jpg

Last edited:
Any updates on this place? I've read just about everything related to Bobcat thats been posted here. Would love to see it open up for uphill access, I would pay a few bucks for the privilege.

The other place I am very interested in learning more about in the western cats is the old mountain in Stamford that now appears to be an orthodox jewish summer camp.
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 10.22.26 AM.png

Any updates on this place? I've read just about everything related to Bobcat thats been posted here. Would love to see it open up for uphill access, I would pay a few bucks for the privilege.

The other place I am very interested in learning more about in the western cats is the old mountain in Stamford that now appears to be an orthodox jewish summer camp.
View attachment 12661
A few photos of Scotch Valley

Any updates on this place? I've read just about everything related to Bobcat that's been posted here. Would love to see it open up for uphill access, I would pay a few bucks for the privilege.
The most recent personal experience I have with Bobcat is almost nine years ago when I was turned away by a caretaker who told me that the owners were concerned about getting sued after a hiker broke her leg on the ridge. Just a guess, however, it seems like there would have to be an Ascutney-type of setup where uphill access would be possible.

Ira's family owns the land Bobcat is on. He's a regular at Plattekill. I have certainly tried to broach the subject, but they really don't seem to want anyone on the property.

chris-and-bobcat-ira.jpg

Chris and Ira in Oz

They were posted in a TR on the Snowjournal forum back in 2005. The article linked above was also posted on SJ!

James, that’s even before I joined SJ!
Unless I’m reading the history of the trip reports wrong it seems you were the only one posting reports for almost TEN years!

There is nothing better than reading your old reports and even though I never skied with you I was privileged to meet you at the Bearpen hike 2015. Seeing you, Russ and Ben Lane together was the epitome of ski history to me.

Between you and Harv I would like to see Claude and Neve updates.

Back