Belleayre Draft 2022 Unit Management Plan

Bandit

ORDA has posted the draft 2022 UMP for Belleayre here: https://orda.org/belleayre-draft-2022-umpa/

Public comment is open until August 24.

Highlights include a new Lift 7 that loads below the top of lift 1 (Lightning) so skiers can get off 1 and load 7 to get to the top. Included in that is another skier bridge over the parking lot from the old lift 7 loading area to the new loading area. The liftline will also be moved so it is going over the bottom part of the terrain park, which will require the trees to be cut between Yahoo and the park at least up to midstation. They are also destroying Utsayantha and the Goat Path to turn it into another Onondaga, a cut so intermediates can make it to mid from the top.

I was on a call about a month ago with some ORDA people and others, and a discussion came up about what type of lift the new 7 will be. Mike Pratt said it "doesn't deserve" to be a high speed lift since it is too short. (I had to chuckle at this comment coming from the CEO of the authority that installed the world's shortest gondola at the Lake Placid jumping complex). The plan at the time was to make it a fixed grip with NO mid station so all intermediates and park people have to go to the top, unload, and take the newly cut up Utsy/goat path intermediate trail. I argued to either make it a high speed (preferred) or if they're not going to do that at least keep the mid station and don't ruin Utsy/goat path. The type of lift is not in the UMP that I've found, but it will be in the comments I submit to ORDA. Why install a slow fixed grip in 2022 and make the existing ride even longer by extending the lift 665 feet?

Another highlight of the UMP is a new beginner area, located at the.....top of the gondola. This will add to congestion at the gondola and also put beginners that they're presumably trying to get hooked on skiing at the coldest and windiest part of the mountain. ORDA already moved the beginner area from the large area below the new patrol shack to the small, steep area under the gondola which was a bad decision. What they should do now is move the beginner area back to where it was instead of having beginners take the gondola up.

Curious to see what other Belleayre skiers think of the plan!

Pour one out for Utsay and Lift 7. RIP.

ORDA has posted the draft 2022 UMP for Belleayre here: https://orda.org/belleayre-draft-2022-umpa/

Public comment is open until August 24.

Highlights include a new Lift 7 that loads below the top of lift 1 (Lightning) so skiers can get off 1 and load 7 to get to the top. Included in that is another skier bridge over the parking lot from the old lift 7 loading area to the new loading area. The liftline will also be moved so it is going over the bottom part of the terrain park, which will require the trees to be cut between Yahoo and the park at least up to midstation. They are also destroying Utsayantha and the Goat Path to turn it into another Onondaga, a cut so intermediates can make it to mid from the top.

I was on a call about a month ago with some ORDA people and others, and a discussion came up about what type of lift the new 7 will be. Mike Pratt said it "doesn't deserve" to be a high speed lift since it is too short. (I had to chuckle at this comment coming from the CEO of the authority that installed the world's shortest gondola at the Lake Placid jumping complex). The plan at the time was to make it a fixed grip with NO mid station so all intermediates and park people have to go to the top, unload, and take the newly cut up Utsy/goat path intermediate trail. I argued to either make it a high speed (preferred) or if they're not going to do that at least keep the mid station and don't ruin Utsy/goat path. The type of lift is not in the UMP that I've found, but it will be in the comments I submit to ORDA. Why install a slow fixed grip in 2022 and make the existing ride even longer by extending the lift 665 feet?

Another highlight of the UMP is a new beginner area, located at the.....top of the gondola. This will add to congestion at the gondola and also put beginners that they're presumably trying to get hooked on skiing at the coldest and windiest part of the mountain. ORDA already moved the beginner area from the large area below the new patrol shack to the small, steep area under the gondola which was a bad decision. What they should do now is move the beginner area back to where it was instead of having beginners take the gondola up.

Curious to see what other Belleayre skiers think of the plan!
I'm going to keep this here:

I'll study it, and try to ask an intelligent question.

Click that map to enlarge to full screen.

Why would there be a learning area at the top of the mountain? How do these skiers get back to the base—clogging up and scraping off Deer Run even more? downloading? a little nudge down Seneca?—This makes absolutely no sense. If they really want to put a magic carpet in, there is a nice slope above the Discovery lodge, which happens to be adjacent to all of the other beginner terrain/lifts.

I do like the skier bridge idea, but Lift 7—and the impacted trails—should stay the same.

Edit: Yes, I did submit this as a public comment on the ORDA site.

I just fast scrolled the plan and couldn't find a map of the upper mountain learning area. Did I miss something? That really doesn’t make sense to me.

I just fast scrolled the plan and couldn't find a map of the upper mountain learning area. Did I miss something? That really doesn’t make sense to me.
There is text detail on page 19 and a picture of it on page 90 in the UMP. You can also see it in the picture Harvey posted above.

The beginner magic carpet area is terrible. I took one lap over there with Peanut when she was still a peanut and we bolted. Too steep and too short. I guess they put it there so it would be closer to the rental shop. They should move it back upslope to where it was and blow up and regrade the steep knob in front of the lodge, between the stream and the ski racks. For a place that prides itself in teaching beginners they can do much better. Creating an area at the top of the Gondi adds to the congestion at the top and bottom. I could see maybe putting in a surface lift on Route 9 to get people from lift 7 over to Deer Run but not a designated learning area.

The beginner magic carpet area is terrible. I took one lap over there with Peanut when she was still a peanut and we bolted. Too steep and too short. I guess they put it there so it would be closer to the rental shop. They should move it back upslope to where it was and blow up and regrade the steep knob in front of the lodge, between the stream and the ski racks. For a place that prides itself in teaching beginners they can do much better. Creating an area at the top of the Gondi adds to the congestion at the top and bottom. I could see maybe putting in a surface lift on Route 9 to get people from lift 7 over to Deer Run but not a designated learning area.
Completely agree. And you’re right, they moved the beginner area so it would be closer to the rental shop. It should go back close to where it was, where the pond skim last year was would be a perfect beginner area. But that would involve seemingly admitting they were wrong by moving it back…

SayvilleSteve the plan is for beginners to download on the gondola after their lesson.

Why would there be a learning area at the top of the mountain? How do these skiers get back to the base—clogging up and scraping off Deer Run even more? downloading?
Have any of the plan writers ever given a beginner lesson? No one wants to download after that, and half the 10 years olds are trying to escape to the top of the mountain. They're gonna have to move the beginner area again after the first year.

Edit: Yes, I did submit this as a public comment on the ORDA site.
I don't know much about Belleayre, but I know the NYS comment process. Public comments are usually ignored. (I've never even seen a summary of public comments on the Gore UMPs.) YOu need to be an "interested party" with the ability to take it to a judge if you don't like what they do, but the UMP process doesn't seem to allow interested parties. You best chance of having your comments considered is to file them as a group. A group of hotel owners, or NYSEF or NYSEF parents, or NSP or PSIA leadership would have a chance of being heard, but an individual will be ignored.

mm

Back