Automated Speeding Tickets

Milo Maltbie

NYS is installing cameras to catch speeders on the Northway and some roads around the Hudson Valley and LI. For now it's seems to be limited to work zones.

One of them will be on the Northway at the bridge construction between Exit 22 and 23.

mm

NYS is installing cameras to catch speeders on the Northway and some roads around the Hudson Valley and LI. For now it's seems to be limited to work zones.

One of them will be on the Northway at the bridge construction between Exit 22 and 23.

Hopefully there will be a sign to remind me.

Any idea what speed will trip the ticket? I'm assuming they won't bust for something like 68.

IIRC the work zone speed limit is 45. 68 will get you busted every time.

Back when all the speed limits were 55, I got tickets for 66 and 67 almost exactly a year apart in the same speed trap village on the Thruway.

Exit 22 looks like a better alternative for Gore now.

mm

Hopefully there will be a sign to remind me.

Any idea what speed will trip the ticket? I'm assuming they won't bust for something like 68.
They give you plenty of warning about the speed cameras. 68 = ticket. There's another construction site around Pottersville further up the Northway with speed cameras.

In addition, for those heading to Whiteface: there is consistent speed enforcement on the Northway around Schroon Lake. Never used to be there.

got one in NYC last month 5mph over..cost 50....
that's why you see a ton of license plate covers that obscure the numbers..

Are they setting up permanent cameras? It doesn't specify in the article.

The places on Long Island (The expressway and meadowbrook pkwy), that are listed in the table, currently have the mobile cars with the cameras/radar. They are only there when work is being performed, and they have signs before you reach them warning you.

The NYS speed camera program is supposed to be only for construction sites were there are workers.

This week's locations:

I wouldn't risk it. Got tagged by a camera at a work zone at 10pm near Washington DC years ago. No lights and no work happening at that hour. Wasn't worth the effort to fight it long distance.

Back