Building a House with Wood

@sig

Did you go 100% foam or just the ceilings?

How does the foam company allow air flow?

Can you tell when you "need air?"
i went 100% spray foam. Walls and ceilings. My home was existing construction, so to meet the recommended R value, I needed to use spray foam. I also don't have working soffits, so no air flow is happening in the attic. In your case they will put some baffles on the plywood and spray around them. This will let air flow through your soffits. I think the concerns raised here has to do with your living space. With spray foam in the walls and new windows, your house may not breath properly. I would ask the spray foam company if this is an issue or not. As far as your wife surviving in the middle on nowhere, if the house is toasty, you stand a fighting chance. Spray foam and Runtal radiators was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

i went 100% spray foam. Walls and ceilings. My home was existing construction, so to meet the recommended R value, I needed to use spray foam. I also don't have working soffits, so no air flow is happening in the attic. In your case they will put some baffles on the plywood and spray around them. This will let air flow through your soffits. I think the concerns raised here has to do with your living space. With spray foam in the walls and new windows, your house may not breath properly. I would ask the spray foam company if this is an issue or not. As far as your wife surviving in the middle on nowhere, if the house is toasty, you stand a fighting chance. Spray foam and Runtal radiators was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

Curious, did you fill existing walls with foam or gut the interior and spray in open stud pockets?

I insulated my uncle’s place (100 yr old house) by drilling holes and blowing in fiberglass insulation. Went with fiberglass due to cost.

In addition to spray foam homes being very quiet I think it adds some structural strength but I don’t believe they advertise that.

As far as your wife surviving in the middle on nowhere, if the house is toasty, you stand a fighting chance.

100% sig worthy!

I think so. Not exactly sure what they called it
Rock wool: I may do the same. Does it have backing? Is it loose or solid? Do you have a pic of the install?

Supposed to be better than pink fiberglass.

i went 100% spray foam. Walls and ceilings. My home was existing construction, so to meet the recommended R value, I needed to use spray foam. I also don't have working soffits, so no air flow is happening in the attic. In your case they will put some baffles on the plywood and spray around them. This will let air flow through your soffits. I think the concerns raised here has to do with your living space. With spray foam in the walls and new windows, your house may not breath properly. I would ask the spray foam company if this is an issue or not.

We do have the soffit channels.

The foam is required in the ceiling, based on everything you've said, I'm thinking rockwool for the walls.

But I will ask too.

We do have the soffit channels.

The foam is required in the ceiling, based on everything you've said, I'm thinking rockwool for the walls.

But I will ask too.
How come you are making decisions about insulation now?

Back