Today's Hike

One pic and 1000 words is all we need.

Awesome Rip!

Independence Day at Manitoga, Garrison, NY.

1720138262795.jpeg

1720189013007.jpeg

Fahnestock is riddled with interesting rock features that point to a rich history of human presence, some of which may be ancient.

We happened upon this large boulder, pictured in the previous post, on our recent bushwhack deep in the backcountry.

1723830810899.jpeg

At first glance it looks like just another glacial erratic. After further examination we realized it has been manipulated into its’ current position.

1723830904734.jpeg

The monolith sits on bedrock and is balanced upright.

1723834185541.jpeg

Three wedge stones on the western side were used to prop it up. Two of them have fallen away leaving only one.

1723831220500.jpeg

The skinny side seemed to have a face. Wondering if there was an alignment, I checked the compass which showed it perfectly pointing north.

1723832132653.jpeg

Who did this and when? How the heck did they move it? I suppose we will never know. So many hidden wonders out there to discover.

Last edited:
Did you record its coordinates? Maybe go back with a big sheet of newsprint and some charcoal to do a rubbing of the “face”.

Did you record its coordinates? Maybe go back with a big sheet of newsprint and some charcoal to do a rubbing of the “face”.
I didn’t record the coordinates but I know where it is. The face would be something like 12 feet tall. The whole boulder on the skinny end resembled a head. Might have been the way our lights shown or maybe we were feeling the effects of all the wildfire smoke that’s been floating around.

1724040033141.png

1724040177045.jpeg

Regardless, I definitely will be visiting this site again. Wondering how it appears in the daylight. There are lots of other stones in the area and I’m curious to see if they are aligned in any way.

Last edited:
Been recovering from a bicycling-automobile collision I had the misfortune of being involved in a few weeks back. Today was my first day getting back to more regular exercise and decided to take advantage of the fantastic weather. I've really not explored Rockefeller State Park nearly as much as I should considering it is only a half hour drive across the river. Got 8 miles in on the carriage roads and felt really good. I need to get back to some more strenuous exercise not that I am mostly healed up, I put on a bit more weight than I would have liked while out of commission.

20240820_140244.jpg

20240820_140546.jpg

Back